AURALiC's Inhouse Approach to Handling of MQA files

Interesting update on DAR about Auralic new firmware and its approach to MQA.

The simple answer is that Aurilacā€™s ā€œMQA decodeā€ is nothing of the sort, based on their description.

To advertise their firmware as having MQA decode would appear at first sight to be passing off. Iā€™d be surprised if MQA werenā€™t having a few words with their lawyers at present.

3 Likes

Agreedā€¦I donā€™t believe that the Auralic is neither Decoding or Unfolding in the way that we have come to understand those terms when applied to true MQA Decoders from Bluesound, Meridian, Mytek and others

1 Like

We did see it with HDCD though, flags bringing the lights on with uncertified CDā€™s etc. I have no doubt Auralic will be asked to expunge all mention of MQA from their documentation and they will probably comply. But can you stop them from making the lights come on when a MQA flag is detected?

Thereā€™s a discussion on MQA and I agree Auralic views on MQA. Iā€™ve compared the sound quality of Auralic solution vs Tidal app, Iā€™ve a hard time telling the difference.

Out of interest, which MQA DAC were you using when comparing?

Thereā€™s no MQA DAC, just software decodingā€¦ Auralicā€™s solutions vs Tidal app, both are pass through a same DAC.

So you havenā€™t had chance to compare fully decoded then. That is clear and explains much of your p.o.v.

Fair enough but good to note.

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly why I was asking, Nick.
As you say, a fair enough comparison but not involving a full MQA end to end path.

1 Like

I think you are missing the point, Nick. Iā€™m not comparing software vs hardware decoding. I want to test out Auralic own software decoding vs MQA licensed software decoding (Tidal app).

If Iā€™ve difficulty telling the difference from both of them, It means Auralic own decoding does indeed up to par to Tidal app.

As for the argument that ā€˜MQA will make all music sound he sameā€™ It seems that Auralic is joining the party then as there seems to be no difference reported.
Another Anti MQA argument kicked into the long grass lol

They are not joining the party, they are gate crashing. That is nothing to celebrate if it means anyone can do what they have done. It breaks the security built in to MQA and record labels will not like that.

I agree with your feelings here but as long as they donā€™t Unfold, they can do what they like however disengenuose.

Thereā€™s no security break if, as they claim, they are just up-sampling. If not, I guess we have to leave that one up to MQAā€™s lawyers. Very naughty to talk about a ā€œde-blurring algorithmā€ though.

Has it (de-blurring) been trademarked? It might just be a phenomenon known to signal processing experts that now has a more commonly recognisable name thanks to discussions surrounding MQA. Of course if itā€™s copyright or trademarked then itā€™s naughty.

If itā€™s not copyright I can imagine weā€™ll see a lot more custom de-blurring and unfolding algorithms appear over the coming years if MQA sticks around.

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s only been invented by / gained prominence due to MQA. And I donā€™t think that thereā€™s anything that MQA Ltd. can do about use of such a term. But letā€™s be clear: de-blurring in the context of the MQA process is a very specific design goal with very specific technology to achieve that. Some might not believe that it makes a difference, but I do.

1 Like

My understanding was that any benefit from the ā€˜de-blurringā€™ process was available through standard, non-MQA playback. If that is the case why are people talking about copyright infringement?

The potential infringement comes from their description of their process as an MQA decode. Itā€™s not, it appears to be an upsampling with filters, no unfolding is taking place of the MQA data that weā€™re aware of.

This may, or may not, sound better to you but it does appear to be misrepresenting their software using someone elseā€™s trademark.

If a vacuum manufacturer started selling their vacuums as ā€œHooversā€ I think Hoover would have a problem with that, notwithstanding the fact that Hoover is used as a generic term for vacuum cleaners these days.

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining. Your earlier post #13 quotes from the DAR article (linked at post #16) where Auralic specifically deny using any MQA technology. The authors of the linked article use the term ā€˜Pseudo-MQA supportā€™, so where do Auralic claim to do MQA decode?

Claims made about ā€œMQA Decoding Supportā€ at the link below