Authorizations problem

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
SonicTransport w/ Linux.
PC w/ Win 7 Ultimate.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Both locations connected to streamer by hardwired ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Home streamer is PS Audio DirectStream DAC bridge 2.
Office is Bryston BDP-2

Description Of Issue
I have 2 subscriptions, 2 locations (office & home).

Last time I opened home Roon it said I needed to drop a device because I only had 2 subscriptions. That didn’t make sense because I only run Roon on SonicTransport at home and a PC at office. The PC install is all Roon components.

SonicTransport install is control on an iPad, an Android tablet, a Win tablet, and a Win notebook; the core and playback (?) is on Sonic transporter.

Now today at office I got a similar message and it listed “Your Devices” as 2 SonicTransports.

How do I straighten this out?

Have you changed your network lately (new router, new/more devices)?
Does the message to de-authorize a core show up again and again?
If not, then I’d say you’re done for now and all should be well.

Speculation follows: I don’t know how Roon actually handles the server licenses but the internal network address(es) a client sees when he tries to connect seem to be part of the process. If this information (the address) gets saved/cached somewhere then a reconfiguration of the network which results in a new IP-address for your server (for e.g. when you install a new router at home maybe) will lead to that message.

A one time de-authorization for the old address should be enough then.

If it shows up again and again, well you may have a problem with your network setup then.

I’ve managed to do that when I setup my core on a multi-homed server (a server that is connected to several networks at the same time) and wanted to connect to it from my also multi-homed PC. As the (actually one) server instance showed up twice (once for every network) on the PC, Roon was thinking that I have two servers running and also asked me to drop one of the two.
If the message does shows up again for you, you should pay close attention to the displayed IP-address for each of the doubled servers. This may give you a clue as where to search for the error. Something like e.g. a VPN connection to your home network could be a cause for this.

If it’s not an error but by intention, as it is in my case, you have to setup proper firewall rules that prevent Roon (the control(s)) from seeing the server on more than one network.

Thanks for a fast, substantive response! I did indeed set up a new router at office recently; but I thought the device ip’s were unchanged. I’ll check further along that line. I also exchanged the streamers (switched which system they were on) but that was sometime before I noticed the problem

Hi @crmanitly,

Thanks for the report here. Since your original post, have you been able to successfully un-authorize the duplicate SonicTransporter and authorize the correct one to have both your Cores operating properly?

No, but I’m working on it. Since the Roon authorizations are used at 2 physically separate locations, I cannot easily or quickly troubleshoot. Will give update tomorrow, but no luck so far

Hi Craig,

I just wanted to check in with you here, have you been able to successfully un-authorize the duplicate Core?

No, still working at it. No long periods of time available to just do that. May not be until this weekend
But thank you very much for checking

1 Like

I have now started Roon at the office without the duplicate Core message showing up, done the same at home, and then back to office - all without a problem. So looks like that did it! My initial problem was probably that I unauthorized the incorrect core at the office.
If the problem recurs, should I continue using this thread to contact you or start another?

1 Like

Hi Craig,

Glad to hear that the issue appears to be resolved. If this behavior re-occurs please open a separate thread and reference a link to this one. If it’s the same symptoms we can merge the two and open this one again. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.