Auto-tune is a total debacle; prove me wrong

I smile thinking of Stevie without even hearing his music !

Here’s Joe Walsh playing with a Vocoder in the second best band he was ever in:

1 Like

Can’t prove it. But the same was probably said about:
Digital music
808s
Synthed violins (It is the work of Satan…!)
MQA
Just sayin’

1 Like

Ah, so this is why I really, really, really hate Daft Punk.

I take it you mean the Roland 808? I absolutely love the 808 drum machine, I used to dream of owning one through my early teens :grin:

It’s funny because I don’t mind the electronic effects used on voices in old school Hip Hop but I really hate it on any music past the late 80’s.

Great thread @andybob :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yep. Them. I understand there was some skepticism (ahem) when it came out. But it’s done a lot for bass drums in a totally synthetic way, with a big feature being how you dial in distortion in a musically pleasing way.

1 Like

Auto-tuned cat:

3 Likes

In the end, I think it’s like a whammy bar on a guitar. If done tastefully, a cool effect; but annoying if gratuitously over used. The line is obviously subjective and I fall quite a ways towards the subtler end.

I am, however, concerned that all the artists I’ve approved as having used Auto-tune artefacts artistically are as white as the driven snow; I’m starting to feel like some Imperial Grand Wizard. Is T-Pain and Daft Punk as good as R&B Auto-tune gets, or is there something more subtle I should listen to ?

1 Like

I also hate it when human voices get a computerized edge, but I dont think autotune can ‘make’ artists. TPain for example is a really good singer

4 Likes

I liked that, thanks. Definitely a good singer.

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: MQA disappointing

Sat in an eatery listening to Buble earlier. Couldn’t listen to him. The Auto-tune was soo obvious on some tracks. Once you know you can’t unknow it.

1 Like

Amazing comment! Back when Epiphany was life :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t understand. Did you read what I wrote. I dont listen to Buble because he can’t sing and relies on auto-tune.

I am astonished that you seem unable to discern anything so completely obvious as auto-tune distortion.

I think my observation above may have bearing on your passion with MQA.

I am realizing that experiences are very different among Roon users and this may have more to do with hearing acuity than anything else.

You will need to back up that statement with evidence, or is it just your opinion.

You really can’t hear it can you?

This is why I need to prove something that should be obvious.

For the record, Michael Buble himself admits he uses auto-tune because he has “a pitchy voice”…

Well, if he does, he does. That doesn’t make it a bad record though. It is a heck of a performance… here goes… especialy in MQA as available on Tidal. :joy:

1 Like

Does he or doesn’t he?

But who gives a DAMN if he does, or he doesn’t? The guy’s an entertainer. And BOY does he do that superbly! :+1:

1 Like

Kind of like Milli Vanilli. Good performers, Who cares if they can’t sing.

1 Like

@Rugby
Have you ever seen Bublé live? He definitely CAN sing (i.e. no pitch problems/good timing on stage)…

(Went to one of his concerts a couple of years ago - with my old man, who loves this type of music. Bublé was surprisingly good…)

2 Likes