Autodiscover on mounted network music folder not working

This sounds like a problem I’ve seen before with a Mac system watching a NAS share, in which we only get change detection notifications when a directory is created/deleted. That means that we catch some random fraction of the tracks in the directory, and then don’t notice the rest. That also explains only seeing a couple tracks in the “skipped files” thing, those would be the files that were partially there when the scan cam through from the directory created notification. I had thought this was a Mac only problem, but the symptoms match really well. I have an idea of what I’d like to do to fix it, but there are some details to work out and as always I can’t comment on schedules.

I think the reason your resets fixed the problem is that we rescan everything on startup. You could confirm this by trying the “force rescan” button in settings -> storage -> 3 dots menu for the watched folder.

Roon is supposed to automatically rescan all network watched folders on a timer. It defaults to every 4 hours, but I currently have a ticket to fix a bug where we only seem to scan one network folder instead of all of them.

There aren’t any Mono settings you can change that will do anything here. I’d like to try to replicate your setup and see if I can see this fail on my end. I’d like as much information as possible about your OS on the NUC and the NAS make/model and Samba settings. In particular:

1. Linux/Debian version on the NUC
  2. The NAS is a ReadyNAS Ultra 2? Can you get me the Samba configuration file? I’m guessing that probably lives at /etc/samba/smb.conf

I am somewhat confused, because I believe I’ve seen change detection work watching network shares from a Linux system, but I am now finding things suggesting that it should just never work. I think you are probably also experiencing our re-scan timer bug, hopefully I can fix that as well.

2 Likes