Automated Word Blocking

Yes, censorship is needed in the form of moderation from time to time (that’s not the only role of moderator though.)

What I don’t agree with is the poorly implemented and inconsistent use of automated tools. I’m aware of a single word that is censored. And it’s not the first time this has happened.

I think this is much ado about nothing. There is no such thing as free speech on a privately owned forum. Roon can censor their forum as they see fit. I was guilty also and got censored. That’s OK.

2 Likes

Am inclined to agree.

I think you’ve missed the point. This isn’t about free speech. Just consistency.

Why is Trmp censored when Biden is not? Why is trmp censored and “■■■■■■” not?

I don’t know. I have my own opinion why that might be. Maybe a person would have to earn a spot on the censor list.

I’ve just gotten to the point where I ignore the stupid posts/posters.

The Roon audio forum doesn’t need political divisiveness. There are lots of internet forums where you can discuss politics.

2 Likes

Because experience shows us that any reference to him … immediately derails an otherwise legitimate topic … and it then descends into war of words by opposing factions …

Then the moderators step in and attempt to restore the piece and get the topic back on track. Often at this point other factions then complain there is too much / not enough moderation.

The intention of banning words is an attempt to discourage inappropriate posts at source automatically… yes it’s a bit clumsy but by and large I believe it works.

There is an alternative, which is not to ban the use of certain words in posts, but to allow the post to be created but it is initially hidden pending moderator approval.

I can see pros and cons, but I’m genuinely interested in reading views about this alternative approach, in the context of this HiFi forum and maintaining it as a pleasant place to hangout.

IMHO is the “hide and approve” method the only right way to stop unwanted discussions from happening – even if it’s more work, as other ways users can always work around automatically blocked terms, for the right or the wrong, if they wish too.

Never mind. I misunderstood.

I don’t think references to him were about politics but rather debate about a three-letter acronym and a small minority of posters who know how to push someone’s buttons.

There are many instances of this usage too:

• surpass (something) by saying or doing something better: if the fetus is human life, that trumps any argument about the freedom of the mother.

Nonetheless, I can understand why his name is used in some of the most polarised dicussions here yet I wonder if banning his name really makes that much of a difference. People will use other words to make their point. So maybe a Minority Report is the way to go.

I think Roon should simply ban any political or religious discussions or references on their Roonlabs community forum including attempts to get around the ban by using synonyms, etc.

1 Like

I was serious about my initial question. To me as a non native speaker it is a curiosity that a famous guys’ name is the same as a verb. I was wondering whether native speakers would strike it as odd as well, and whether regardless of political orientation this verb would increase or decrease is usage?
I was never talking about politics, more wondering about a socio linguistic question.

Sally Ride is a person. Ride is an English verb. Sally Ride had done nothing to get her name on a list of prohibited words. I no longer use the verb you are talking about unless playing bridge.

1 Like

Pretty cool name for an astronaut :wink:

1 Like

Hi Coltrane - given I can’t see your location, can I ask then what is your native language please? (Your English is excellent).

Slightly off topic perhaps, but still on topic :thinking:…English is a most unusual language. I take a great interest in the language as I’m a teacher, but over and above that I’m generally interested and find it fascinating.

Given this isn’t the space for great detail one must recognise the history of the language & where it has derived from: that is a multitude of other languages. It is dynamic and continually changing/evolving & still borrowing and including words from other languages.

Further, English per se isn’t entirely universal like many other languages. How people speak & spell in the UK doesn’t mirror what occurs in America for example. There is often no right or wrong here & whilst it could be argued that the bulk of spelling is mostly more traditional in British versions of English e.g. colour vs color this isn’t always true. Moreover, there are ‘dialects’ within English and can be well noted between let’s say Counties in Britain, where even people living so closely speak a little differently.

Specifically relating to this part of your question, there is most definitely a sociolinguistic differentiation broadly speaking & I don’t mean a greater vocabulary between educated & less educated.

There are many homophones in English. Whilst English maybe somewhat of a universal language these days (Esperanto never took off), teaching it to children is very complex & to ‘master’ grammar and punctuation even more convoluted.

For your interest as a non native English speaker, I feel English speakers need to be careful with the use of humour on forums, especially sarcasm as what is seen as humorous in one country could easily be construed as rude in another. Inflexion and tone are not often conveyed well via text in such situations.

I have found (anecdotally) that the Aussie ‘dry’ humour is typically understood and appreciated by the English (heritage is an obvious reason why this may be so) & far less so by Americans. Just to provide a slightly different context to your thoughts above and highlight some of the difficulties here.

Cheers.

3 Likes

That is true. Even more so non-native speakers, I guess. My first language is German. Humor is a delicate thing. It doesn’t work on forums.

3 Likes

His family’s originally German, and it’s their original German surname.

I was curious about the English term, though. So I looked it up. According to The Barnhart Concise Dictionary of Etymology, the English verb meaning deceive or cheat is from the Middle English trumpen (1513), which is borrowed from the Old French tromper, which is to deceive. Many English words are borrowed from the French.

1 Like

Unfortunately not. It’s an occupational name for a trumpeter (English) and drummer (German.)