Automatic Room Correction (using imported measurement data)

I know some of you guys here successfully measured their rooms and then tweaked room DSP settings accordingly…
But wouldn’t it be just great, if it was possible just to import measurement and that’s it? The software does the rest…
When I was in my 20s, it was fun to tweak and play around. Growing “old” and having less time and nerves, I just want things to work :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Most of the Room Correction software involves setting a mic at the listening position(s) and running test tones. Yamaha YPAO is really simple. Anthem ARC was a bit more complicated. Doing it with a SPL meter? That doesn’t sound like much fun.

Are you addressing two channel? or multi-channel?

I’m 90-95% headphones. Room correction is easier…

Neumann have announced their MA1 automatic monitor alignment system that works with their monitors and sub-woofers and a calibrated microphone. They say:

“ Using the individually calibrated measurement microphone your acoustic environment is analyzed in a guided process. Advanced calibration algorithms, jointly developed with the world’s leading institute in audio processing, Fraunhofer IIS, guarantee an optimally adapted amplitude and phase correction for exact and reliable monitoring.”

Yes, I am addressing a stereo-setup. I am aware of the necessity of mics and extra software for measurement. What I would love to see in Roon, would be a possibility to kind of import those measurement and then Roon making the right setting for correction automatically without me having to struggle with graphs and Qs and so on!

4 Likes

If you aren’t talking about the already-existing convolution file facility, it sounds like you’re either looking for Dirac (or Dirac-like software, I’ll take Trinnov or Illusonic integration over Dirac any day), so a GUI for measurements, or that you’re looking for HAF :wink: .

1 Like

Still wondering why someone would do room correction at source level. It makes much more sense to apply room correction to the room itself (acoustic dampening/reflection/diffusion) and if this isn’t enough, to apply digital correction to the signal processing at amplifier level. That way the correction is done for all sources, not just for the one source.

1. what makes you think that the room is not treated? Of course no room correction can correct a too long reverb. But then again there are other “disciplines” than reverb where DSP is far more effective.

2. Room correction at source level is what make the most sense in my case because:

• I do not have, nor do I want to have analogues sources. Roon ROCK is the only source of music here
  • my pre-amp / power-amp combo does not allow the intregration of DSP without losing important advantages of their technical outfit.
  • I can even apply basic acoustic correction to less important rooms where I don’t want to spend thousands on diffusors and so on…
  • I want to have my stereo in my living room. It is my hobby, I want to have it where I live. But of course you can’t overdo it with diffusors and absorbers in your living room. So you need to find a smart combination from what is acceptable aesthetically and do the rest via DSP.
1 Like

Re #1: Check out HAF Room Shaper

Please don’t tell us how to live our life …

Which I didn’t. I don’t subscribe to the idea of room correction at source level. @itzlbritzl mentioned some valid reasons to apply it in his case, so fair enough.

You might want to untwist your knickers…

Because some of us want your rooms to be a nice room to live in and not a recording studio. Acoustic treatments are just not an option. After speaker placement that is also limited due to living parameters Room correction at source is the only solution.

6 Likes

I use a miniDSP SHD in my listening room which has Dirac Live integrated. Dirac Live walks you through a process of taking measurements at various positions with a calibrated microphone and automatically generates a correction curve for your room and speakers. I think it would be cool if Roon could integrate Dirac Live or something similar but I doubt that would happen. For now, I’m happy with the miniDSP SHD which works as a streamer, DSP processor, crossover, and preamp.

4 Likes

Dirac Live does just that, and it works like a dream.

2 Likes

Agree with your comment. i have done the measurements with an imik mic. But the proces of getting that integrated in ROON is far to technical and complex. Come on Roon emgineers, please make this more user friendly. Not all your users have technical degrees, Alfas like to listen to (emotional impacting) music too :smile:

If you find it too difficult there are services that will take your measurements and produce the files you need, then you just import them.

Using exactly the same solution you do, and I am very happy with the results!

1 Like

I have bought a Umik microphone and used it with the free tool REW on a laptop to do measurements in my room. Rather steep learning curve but much help on various fora. REW produced a list of corrections per channel which I then copied to Roon DSP. Painstaking but needs only to be done once, in principle. When my i5 NUC began to struggle with the many on-the fly corrections I disabled some of the more subtle ones until everything went smoothly. Never looked back.

2 Likes

That is exactly what I was asking for. A featured for AUTOMATIC important and adaption from measurement from for example REW.
You got digital measurement and you got a DSP inside Roon. Seems unnecessary having to fiddle around with curves and Qs and so on when all the information is there.

3 Likes

That’s what I understood and yes, I would welcome an automatic ‘link’ between the measurement tool and Roon. Even better, real-time measurement and correction to account for changes to the room.

1 Like

I think that would be a killer feature, setting Roon even more apart from its competition. Not every audiophile is obsessed with meta-data quality and converting stream in a multiform setup.

But almost every audiophile is interested in room-optimization. There are so many integrated amps, pre-amps and power amps out there that don’t really allow the implementation of DSP without a rather big hassle. And the number of stereos without and analogue sources, even without any important source rather then their server (in this case Roon-Core or ROCK) will increase. With this development room correction at source level becomes increasingly attractive.

3 Likes