Automatic scanning at startup: Toggle on/off or abort within a 30 second window

The designers of Roon have said in the past that Roon is “opinionated” software - that is, it does things in its own way, and its design reflects this (and their philosophy).

You have asked to have a different design made. Your request will have been read by Roon Labs, but I suspect that the chances that they will implement it is pretty low.

Oh, and BTW, if, for example, a disk failure, NAS failure, or network failure causes the loss of a Watched Folder in Roon - Roon does show an error message…

Thanks for the answer. Idont want Waste anyones time on more then necessary.
But I do want to understand .
I have not seen any information about this anywhere so I have a few questions.
Then this can be closed. Thank you .

1. When a disk fails …How does Roon manage the associated data ?
  2. Does Roon Delete everything right away ?
  3. When does Roon delete the associated data and require a -scan and import of the files?
  4. What happens with tags, playlist etc associated with this data Linked to the de-attached storage ?
  5. Or Will Roon just make the data ”hidden” until …the storage is attached again …??
  6. If I Do a backup right after a storage is detached Will that associated data be backuped up ?

I’m not quite sure if you are making the necessary distinction between the database and the music storage. Such as, when the database disk fails, you must have a backup. The database contains all tags, playlists, edited credits, etc.

If files go missing, e.g. because the storage disk is not available. Roon marks the files as missing. Are you looking for this?

Here’s what I have come to understand using Roon over the last 6+ years…

It sees the storage location as moved or unavailable. If the location is remounted at the same path it should fix itself. If the location has been moved to a new path, you can edit the location path and Roon will do a quick scan of the new path and if the files are the same and match it’ll used the existing data it has. Just don’t select the wrong path to the new folder. I believe this could result in a mess.

Yes and No. It won’t show in the Roon client anymore, but I believe some metadata info still resides in the database. Clean up Library is where I think you go to delete all references to the deleted/removed storage.

Roon deletes the associated data when you perform the Library maintenance. I think when you do this it’s final. It destroys all left over metadata info and file scan info and if you re-add files it will need to rescan stuff.

• Settings > Library > Clean up library

They won’t play until the disk is mounted or the path is fixed. I’m not sure if the Clean up Library would/does removed them from the playlists. I don’t utilize playlists much but it’d be easy to produce and see what happens, someone else please chime in…

well it woudn’t show up. enable or fix the path and it’s show up.

The backup stores the storage path. I believe even if the storage is offline it would just save the storage path. The metadata files roon uses are not stored with the audio files, they reside in a Database in the roon server location on the system drive. Once the roon metadata engine finishes it’s job scanning files and building the database, it only references the audio storage drive on server startup, when you add new files to any of the storage folders or to get the audio file data when song is played.

Storage folder locations are constantly watched. If you drag and drop a folder with songs in it directly into a storage location, Roon will notice the addition and will attempt to match metadata and add the album or song to the database. If you goto recently added in using the Roon client you’ll see them pop up as you add folders and files. When you remove a folder or file from a storage location, they will disappear from the library but I am under the impression that the database still will have orphaned info and references that can only be removed by using the Clean up Library.

Thank you. That still does not clearly answer.

1. exacly when are metadata from files and associated data are being deleted or flagged in the database when a storage is not longer available?

2. The associated data like playlist, bookmark etc is associated with storage no longer available. How does Roon handle these?

3. And If the failed storage needs to be replaced and all filenames and metadata är unchanged Will they be RE-Linked to playlist etc if that has not yet been deleted?

4. Is there an help document describing, how Roon handle this scenario, the consequenses and What I as user need to when it happens.

I would appreciate answer without gessing and assumptions. Thank you /G

Without guessing and assumptions by users, and if you don’t believe the text in the Roon settings in my screenshot above, this might be better addressed as a support question in the #support area.

My understanding is:

1. They are deleted when you clean up the library. They are flagged when they are not available

2. Don’t know, it does not matter to me. If the music files are not available, it’s obvious that they can’t be played. I would guess that they stay in bookmarks, etc., until the library is cleaned up

3. I don’t understand why all file names and metadata would change if the failed storage has to be replaced.

4. I can’t find a KB page and you are right that it should be there. Hence probably best addressed in #support

On the other hand, you can easily test all these assumptions and be sure. Just add some music files, remove them, re-add them, use different paths when re-adding, etc.

Thanks for your commitment to help me. Sometimes one question/idea tends to go somewhere else sp yes maybe this should have started as a support requst first so I can learn Roon first. I did submit a support ticket but Roon but that was rejected because they want me/us users to podt it here in the forums instead.
I would feel much more comfortable getting ans answer from RoonLabs here or directed to an help document explaining this and other logics that Roon have designed.

Hi,

I have a fairly large music library successfully running on a Xeon based Synology server.
I do not run the server 24/7 and it’s quite frustrating when I decide to startup the server to play music using Roon, as Roon will always insist on scanning ALL storage locations which can take 5-10 mins.

It would be very useful to have a means on the Settings:Storage page on each location to uncheck a box to disable these locations from being scanned as most of these locations are static (never change).

Cheers,

Zera

If you look in feature suggestions there are already threads. Add your vote to one of them.

1 Like

No I didn’t, I’l search for the thread and place a vote if it’s still pending.

Zera

Hi @Zerajera,

I merged you post into this #feedback:feature-suggestions topic, you can add you vote at the top of it.

There is also this one that may be of interest to you …