Ayre DAC not recognized after 1.4 upgrade [Resolved]

After the upgrade to 1.4 my Ayre DSD dac is not recognized after I reboot the audioserver/ streamer, which is running RAAT under Vortexbox. Before the upgrade there was no problem.
The only way to have Roon recognize the Dac is to reboot the Dac.

Vortexbox S.W. V2.3
Linux Fedora release 20 (Heisenburg)
USB: Ayre Acoustics USB interface at usb 0000:00:14.0-5.1

The Dac is an Ayre Acoustics QB-9 DSD

Any suggestions?

Hi @Mike_Agsteribbe ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. Both are very appreciated!

Moving forward, if I am understanding the issue (and setup) correctly, you have your Roon core being hosted on a Vortexbox with the QB-9 DSD DAC mounted to the unit via USB. Since upgrading to 1.4 the QB-9 is being lost by the application and only rebooting the Vortexbox returns stability to the setup, correct?

If my thinking is correct in regard to the above, may I very kindly ask you for the following information:

  • How often does the error occur?

  • Besides the update to 1.4 has there been any other changes to your setup that you can think of?

  • Can you think of any action that is triggering this behavior?

  • When you notice that the DAC is not being recognized are you still able to interact with the application via your remote devices without issue?

  • If you have any other audio zones do you ever notice the same issue? Furthermore, when the QB-9 is not being recognized can you still stream music to your other audio zones without issue?

  • During your troubleshooting have you tried…

    • Testing with a different USB cable.
    • Testing with another DAC to confirm if you make the same observations you are seeing with the QB-9.
    • If you have another device (say a laptop or desktop computer) running as a “roon remote” have you tried mounting the QB-9 to that unit to see if it remains stable?


Hi Eric,

Thank you for your reply. I will try to answer your questions:
The error occurs every time the server/streamer has been switched off for the night after it has been switched on again. The only remedy is to reboot the DAC by unplugging the power cord because it does not have a on/off switch.
After that the DAC is recognized and the system is stable all the time.
I have tried another USB cable, in my impression this has no positive effect.
There have been no other changes to the setup after updating to 1.4.
The only action which triggers this behavior is switching off the server.
If the DAC is not found the app can be controlled by my ipad, I can even switch to another zone and stream audio to that zone f.i. my Imac. The other zones do not have this issue, it is only the Ayre.
I did not connect the QB-9 to another computer.
I contacted the dealer of the Ayre and he answered that this problem was known to him, several customers have the same problem, and he expected a patch by Roon soon.
The problem is not very serious, but rather annoying, I simply let the server on 24/24, the sound quality is still excellent, the only thing I found that it deteriorates when I try volume leveling. The DAC does not like the upsampling and afterwards downsampling of the audio signal.

Hi @Mike_Agsteribbe ----- Thank you for the update and providing the requested feedback.

Moving forward, I would like to enable some diagnostics on your account so our techs can try to get a sense as to hat could be causing this behavior with the DAC. In light of this, may I very kindly ask you to reproduce the issue and note the following time frames (i.e time of day):

Time frame #1: When the DAC is not recognized by the application after it has been switched off.

Time frame #2: When the DAC is recognized again by the application after it has been rebooted.

Many thanks!

Hi Eric:
20.27 local time: Reboot Server, Dac not recognized
20.30 local time: Reboot Dac ==>Dac up and Running

I hope this helps to solve this problem
To be sure I again tried a standard USB cable later on instead of the Audioquest carbon cable: it has the same problems.


Hi @Mike_Agsteribbe ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested feedback. Both are very appreciated!

As mentioned in my previous, now that I have the timeframes as to when the issue occurred I will be enabling diagnostics on your account. What this action will do is the next time the application is launched on your core machine a diagnostics report containing an up to date set of your Roon logs will automatically be generated/uploaded to our servers. Once the report has been received I will touch base to confirm we have it and will pass it off to our techs for analysis asap.

Secondly, I had a chance to touch base with our DEV team concerning the comment made by your Ayre dealer (i.e “…expected a patch by Roon soon”). The team has informed me that we are currently not aware of any issues with the QB-9 and our application, outside of this report. We are going to try to get this device delivered to us for internal testing, but as of right now we are not hearing any widespread complaints from our user base concerning the QB-9.


Hi Eric,

The problem seems to be solved by replacing the Linux kernel to 4.1.13-rt15-1-rt.
Sorry for the trouble it gave you, the problem was on my site, probably the old kernel did not support the combination Vortexbox Roon 100%.


1 Like