B1237 Artist Last Name, First Name sort partially broken again [Resolved Build 1246]

Something similar was fixed in 1228:

But now in 1237 (tested on iPad):

H. C. Artmann, custom sorted by A:

In My Artists correctly in A:

In My Albums totally broken and not in H but right at the start in the special characters, possibly as „.“ (period), curiously although the custom sort is „Artmann, HC“ without periods

A little better but also broken:

Troy von Balthazar with custom sort by B:

Sorted correctly B in My Artists:

But incorrectly in T in My Albums sorted by artist:

Hi, @Suedkiez, thank you for the report, could you, please, share you sorting preferences from Settings → General?

Thanks!

Ivan

It was always Last-First in general settings but I forgot to check if the update maybe reset it. Can check later in the evening

However, note that artists that have Roon default Last Name - First Name, and not custom, still sort correctly by last name in album view by artist. E.g., King Tubby has a Roon default of “Tubby, King” for Last Name - First Name, and he is correctly sorted in T in my last screenshot from the post above. New markers in green for “OK”:

That’s strange. I’ve just tried editing a random artist from my library and I am not seeing any problem:

I tried with Mac DeMarco. Before editing:

After editing:

That’s my setting in Settings → General:

However, in case I switch it to Name my edit is not applied because this option in the editor only regulates the case when Last Name is chosen. Could you, please, verify that you are using the Last Name preference? In case it’s true, I’d be happy to revisit this.

Thanks!

Ivan

There you go, screenshot from my iPad, sorting by last name. I have my MacBook again as well (was out for repairs) and same issue with same settings.

It is weird:

First, please note that your screenshots are not testing the same thing as I did. As I noted, the affected artists do sort correctly for me in My Artists as well. The wrong sort occurs when going to My Albums and then sorting by artist.

I replicated your edit with Mac DeMarco and weirdly he does sort correctly under M within My Albums - by artist:

However, in addition to Artmann and Balthazar from my previous post, all my German „Die“ Bands, which are customized to NOT sort under „Die“ (but equivalent to „Beatles, The“) are also incorrectly sorted in D in My Albums - by artist:

@ivan in addition to the examples in the post above with customized sort names, I now found another example that is NOT customized but nevertheless sorted wrongly:

But in My Albums - by artist he is under E

And yet others which ARE customized are nevertheless sorted correctly. This one is now from my MacBook (where all other examples from above are reproducible):

Looking through my albums. Most are fine but many are not. Another non-custom case:

And

And

You get the gist :slight_smile:

Thank you for the info, @Suedkiez, sorry, I missed the fact that albums browser is affected only.

I will try to reproduce it locally.

I think there are 2 different issues here:

all my German „Die“ Bands, which are customized to NOT sort under „Die“ (but equivalent to „Beatles, The“) are also incorrectly sorted in D in My Albums - by artist:

and then the first last name problem with Balthazar and similar cases:

A little better but also broken: Troy von Balthazar with custom sort by B:

Thanks!

Ivan

Thanks. I can’t see a pattern because both customized and default Last-First entries are affected, but just some and not all of either.

And the “Die” bands seem to be also just customized in the same way as any other names, I see no difference but of course you know better :slight_smile:

I thought that maybe the new localization stuff has an effect on all of this, but it makes no difference whether I run like this (my current normal setting):

or switching to this:

An update here. I found an example in my own library where solo performers are not sorted correctly when Last Name is used. I have not been able to spot the pattern yet but I created a ticket for our dev team for this.

As for the part with the Die article. I re-read your message on more time and the part where you edit LAST-FIRST NAME parameter is a bit confusing. This parameter can only be applied to Solo performers but your screenshots display Group performers. I also checked production builds and the behaviour is the same. However, I made a request to our product team about if it going to be possible to make die behave the same way as the and a. I am waiting on a reply from them.

Thank you for a detailed report and apologies that I did not read it correctly initially.

Ivan

1 Like

Thanks for listening :slight_smile:

I don’t get the Die thing :slight_smile: Here’s a Roon default artist entry for German band Die Sterne:

It’s correctly categorized as a group by Roon:

It doesn’t have a different special default sort name, but that’s frequent with all kinds of artists, not just German ones. It does however definitely have the option to change it although the artist is a group:

Maybe this never worked for “Die” bands and I only noticed now when looking for it, but I doubt that very much. In any case, if groups can’t have a sort name, the field should not be there in the first place, not be there for the user to fill out and then ignored. It may be ignored currently in production but I am quite sure that was not the case in the past.

But it should work anyway because it’s necessary not just for “Die” bands, and it DOES work in other cases like groups that are named after a person, e.g.,

which is a group and I edited Last-First to “Lanegan, Mark Band” because (obviously) I want it sorted next to the solo artist in “Lanegan, Mark” and not far away in M:

and this works just fine:

Of course it would be nice if non-english articles worked automatically like The, but then it gets complicated. German alone has Der/Die/Das plus Ein/Eine (indefinite), then there’s Spanish Un/Una/El/La/Las/Los and whatnot, and so many other languages.

There’s feature suggestions for this and users already detailed the complications and arrived at the need to have an editable list in this case.

And even if this was done, I would say that there is still a need to have it editable for single and group artists because reality is complicated. E.g., there are the US bands Die Kreuzen and Das Damen who jokingly misappropriate German articles with incorrect grammar, and in this case IMO they must be sorted into D because Die is a part of the band name Die Kreuzen (and it may well be intended to be read like dying, not just an article) and is not actually a German-language article like in proper German band names like Die Heiterkeit (“The Cheerfulness”). So currently I consider the actual German “Die” bands incorrectly sorted into D while Die Kreuzen is actually correctly sorted.

Therefore, I strongly support giving the user a final choice for idiosyncrasies like this.

Huh, I am sorry to say but I did not remember this one, so definitely thank you for bringing this one up:

which is a group and I edited Last-First to “Lanegan, Mark Band” because (obviously) I want it sorted next to the solo artist in “Lanegan, Mark” and not far away in M:

Anyway, your suggestion totally makes sense, that’s why I shared it with our product team. Let’s see what they say about this.

Ivan

1 Like

Been working :slight_smile: More about “Die” groups: They are already sorted correctly as per my “Name, Die” custom sort name in My Artists, so obviously they should be in My Albums - by artist name as well :slight_smile:
I get more and more convinced that this “does not work for groups” is a new bug even though it’s in production :slight_smile:

Die Doraus in Do next to the solo artist Andreas Dorau:

(In the below also note that the Jimi Hendrix Experience is a group but next to Jimi Hendrix in H)

And so on

Ok, got it, sure. In case the artist browser does it, Albums browser should as well. We will take a closer look at this one.

Ivan

1 Like

Thank you :heart: Fixed in B1246

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.