B129 ARC - Android Auto feedback

Hi Michael,

As I wrote I observed those problems being offline (in the offline mode or just without connection - I don’t see any differences between those two states).

Today the behavior was slightly different:

• once or twice in the beginning Album list was not retrieved
  • then the Album list - slowly - was being retrieved
  • Artists list was also slowly but appearing
  • on the Albums list there is no distinction between downloaded and other albums - when you have luck and select downloaded its content is being displayed; otherwise you get the forever the loading animation
  • from the Artists list you can display only those that have non-empty content in ARC on your mobile; for others you get constant loading

As I also wrote above I don’t remember the order in which I downloaded albums several weeks ago. Maybe Downloads use that order but I have no way to verify that.

I believe the best option would be to see in Downloads two options: Artists & Albums and then have two lists in alphabetical order.
If not, alphabetical order of long list of downloaded albums would be still more convenient.

Two other remarks:

1. Home tab (with recent albums) is visible only when ARC is connected to Core. It would super useful also in the offline mode

2. No graphics for Artists, Albums, Playlists are being displayed on car display - neither in online nor offline mode. But they are visible in ARC on mobile phone.

1 Like

Edit: I wrote the below without noticing that we are talking about Android Auto, so it is written from the perspective of the regular ARC app. (I don’t have a car to check). Not deleting the following musings in case it’s the same in Auto and might be helpful

I am not @Piotr_Pekala but if I may, because I once had the same wish as well: When viewing the Downloads folder, one may think that it would be nice to be able to view the downloads by the same sort options like Albums, by artist, by album name, etc.

However, this is in fact already possible in My Albums, by selecting the “show downloads” icon top left. Then it shows only the downloads and one can of course use the already existing sort options provided by My Albums.

It just may not be obvious at first to everyone, therefore causing the wish to be able to sort in Downloads.

3 Likes

I couldn’t find that option on car display.
That’s available on the mobile phone and is perfectly fine here. If something similar was available on the car display, that would be great also.

I just edited the above while you wrote, because I had been confused. I hadn’t noticed that we are talking about Android Auto! Sorry!

It probably would be nice if the same was available in Auto, just like in regular ARC that I was writing about

1 Like

ARC Android Auto is shaping up! Shows up in list of apps - now I did enable developer tools from before but I disabled the developer options and still remains present in the app list. I would suggest that anyone who cannot find it - to look for it on your phone as well. Go to settings on your phone - search settings - and search for Android Auto. Go into the AA settings and under ‘customize launcher’ - look for it there and make sure you have it selected to display.

Back to B129. Main menu with ‘Recently Played’ now displays. Under library, albums and artists and playlists all populate. I’m running completely local with >10k albums and the list populated with no noted delay. I like the A-Z fast select. Selecting ‘queue’ from the ‘now playing’ screen is snappy as well. Definitely at the usable stage!

Now for suggestions. 1. Please allow ‘recently added’ to the main screen. It doesn’t have to be a button - just include a small list above or below ‘recently played’. 2. In the album list - would love to have some way to see which version of the album I’m selecting. It’s THE reason I love Roon - have options of versions. 3. This is an ARC general suggestion - look forward to a way to view my bookmarks.

So far so good. Snappy and sounds great. I’m running Android 13 on a Pixel 7 pro.

1 Like

The first thing I did, it is not there. Nor, if you look up thread, for Ged who posted pics of his Customize Launcher showing it’s absence.

1 Like

Have you enabled developer tools for Android Auto? This could be the culprit.

On Android Auto’s options page, scroll down to the bottom and you’ll see a field called Version . Tap this several times until you see a prompt to enable developer options. Accept this and you’ll now be able to access Android Auto developer mode.

Not sure who that’s aimed at?
I have enabled developer access on both phones
Pixel 3
Samsung s21 ultra.

Though I would have thought that this is no longer necessary as it is an official version

“Secondarily, this release also contains official support for Android Auto”

I do not have android auto developer mode turned on.

I don’t have development mode enabled and ARC works in AA. I doubt it’s required anymore since you’ve passed Google app review.

1 Like

Like Ged I have tried version 130 (and yes it still shows 129 in settings) with two different phones (Pixel 6 and Pixel 4a). None of Roon, Roon Arc, or Arc appeared in the app list. If roon wants Arc to work with Android Auto then it should work with Android Auto without users having to jump though developer version hoops; none of the other. player apps I have (Black Player, Media Monkey, iBroadcast) require me to use developer version why should roon? For what it is worth, Arc plays from my PIxel 6 thriough bluetooth just fine.

See this

I also deleted the Arc app and downloaded the Roon Arc app from the play store but i ended up with Version 111 not 130.

Same here until I opted into the beta program through the play store listing and then waiting a few minutes. Then I got an update which was B130.

You need to be in the beta group.

It really pays back to read the basic instructions before going to early access tests…
RTFM! :wink:

Some for the rather large sum I pay to roon some people get better access?

Really don’t know if that is supposed to be serious or not. Anyone can join early access but of course you have to take the bumps in the road as well.

Hello again, build 130 on LineageOS 19.1 on Samsung Galaxy S8+ with AA on Skoda Octavia RS sedan:

cover art is now displayed in correct shape, the music is still much quieter than for example Qobuz.
The music streaming playback stutters from time to time and didn’t happen in build 129.

Regards