B132 Android Idle Battery Drain

FWIW I did the same test on my Pixel 7/Android 13. Loaded ARC before going to bed, then loaded to again when I got up. It doesn’t even show up in App Battery Usage indicating less than 1 percent usage over 14 hrs.

I have the ARC app battery setting as Optimized.

What seemed to have fixed it for me was going into App Info, Mobile Data & Wi-Fi and turning off Background Data. I believe this can also be configured from Special App Access → Unrestricted Data but it’s the same setting.

That’s not exactly a fix since you’ve disabled its utility – you don’t want to have to keep the app in the foreground to stream without disruption when on mobile data. I guess if you never use it off network it’s a fix.

Not sure where the conflict is in your system but I’d keep looking…

FWIW I always have “Mobile Data Always Active” disabled in Developer Settings ", that might help.

That actually doesn’t do what you think it does. It only disables data usage when the app is idle. With that setting disabled ARC is able to stream and sit in the background just fine however when ARC isn’t streaming it doesn’t have a need to be doing anything in the background.

Ok great., No problem then.

@andrew.v Any update on this? Shutting off background data has helped a lot but I’m curious why it happens in the first place.

@michael @andrew.v Any update on this? I haven’t gotten any response in a while.

Any updates? No reply from Roon staff for 21 days. This issue is ongoing.

Still no updates on this? @support can someone help?

@support @Early_Access pull your finger out.

It’s been 1 month since anyone from Roon has responded. Can someone reach back out?

I’m really surprised support hasn’t gotten back to me. I paid $700 for Roon and I’d expect better support than this.

Hi David
Just a thought, have you tried the stable app (or haw it is called) and not the early access one? Just to see if is the same
Traian

Yes I have it was the same in stable. I’ve been able to get around it by disabling background data which makes me think some sort of network connection is being held open when the app is idle which is causing the drain. It doesn’t happen to some people so I’m thinking it may be device/modem specific.

I remember that you have an android, pixel something. Do you have another phone just to test? I have the same impression that battery is draining fast but I’m not the best user to comment as I use my phone for ARC and maybe 15 minutes phone calls per day. The rest I’m on computer and everybody uses WhatsApp (my kids got their first phone 3 month ago, they do not know how to call me over cell only on WhatsApp)

I have a Pixel 6 Pro. I don’t have any other phones. I only use ARC in the car but what will happen is I go to use it in the car and when my phone disconnects from bluetooth the music will stop but ARC will sit idle in the background usually while I’m at work. This is when my battery starts to drain excessively. The only thing that stops it is to manually kill ARC or disable background data. It’s easily reproducible for me, all I have to do it open ARC, play some music, pause it and swipe ARC away and forget about it for a couple of hours.

I always kill ARC when not using. Tomorrow I’ll try to leave it open starting from 100% battery. Being an old phone usually my battery lasts 2 days (when not using arc) I’ll see if there is a difference and post.

Yes let us know. What kind of phone do you have by the way? If you can reproduce try to disable background data in the app permissions to see if it fixes it for you.

Some kind of cheap Samsung, now charging in the sleeping kids room. But I’ll look tomorrow for the model and Android version.

You can simply look at the battery usage in settings and see exactly how much each app used up. (Like I wrote above, no such issue with Fairphone 4 and Android 11, same after the recent update to Android 12. I never kill ARC and I have even turned off battery optimization for it because of the background downloads)

1 Like