B521 update - broke my Samsung J3 Mini Android version 8.1.0 remote

I took your forced software update and now my android phone running Roon Remote (android version 8.1.0) connects to the core, but locks up after a partial screen load. I have uninstalled remote and reinstalled it twice. Very frustrated and will cancel soon if not resolved.

Hi @Jack_Corneveaux,

What kind of Android device are you using? Is there any change if you reboot the phone or uninstall and reinstall the app?

Are other remote devices working okay?

Can you describe your Core and networking setup?

As I said it is an android phone running 8.1.0. Remote ran perfectly fine until I was forced into an update today. No other remote devices. Core is on a windows PC and connected to a PSAudio DSD with BridgeII via a USB cable. And yes, I rebooted the phone and uninstalled the app twice.

Hi @Jack_Corneveaux,

Is the Core running RoonServer or the all-in-one Roon? Are you able to use Roon directly on the Core okay?

Can you confirm the model of the phone? Understanding what hardware is in use will definitely help us understand what might be occurring here.

Phone is Samsung J3 Mini. The core is running version 521, don’t understand RoonServer vs all in one. Roon runs fine on the core. And again, everything ran OK before the software update.

Thanks, @Jack_Corneveaux.

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Update — The Core report came in, but not a report from the Android device. Can you try rebooting the device and connecting to Roon once more and let us know once you’ve done so? Thanks!

OK done, remote is connected but it will disconnect shortly because of this error. In fact, I have connected and reconnected 4-5 times in the last 5 minutes. The remote will not stay connected due to the current fault status

My remote is still down, so what is happening?

Hi @Jack_Corneveaux — The report came in for the Android device and the team is investigating. I’ll be sure to reach out as soon as we have more information.

Core is an HP ENVY TE01-0xxx, processor Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @2.80GHz, Ram 12.0GB, 64-bitOS x64 based processor

Phone is a Samsung J3 Eclipse

This is in reply to Noris who emailed me but reply bounced because it said I don’t have permission to contact that group…

Any update? I’m still down

Hi @Jack_Corneveaux,

I’ve posted an update on this issue here:

Under Investigation --- App freezing on older Android devices with Adreno 300-series GPUs (Updated 02/25/2020)

I updated my phone to a Samsung A10 and Roon Remote is working fine now. I didn’t realize how dated my previous phone was so aside from needing the improved performance, I didn’t think it was realistic to expect your software to recognize an aging outlier.

Hello,

We’ve released a new update, Roon 1.7 Build 528, which contains improvements that we believe will help with the issues you are experiencing here. Please see our release notes below:

Thanks,
The Team At Roon Labs

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.