B970 Mac Mini - slow down or just become unresponsive over time

I too am seeing something similar on my Mac mini running macOS Catalina with version 970. It’ll run for a couple of days then begin to slow down or just become unresponsive. If check in on the app using Activity Monitor, I see that it is using serval GB or RAM and is spinning at 100% on one of the CPU cores. Make me wonder if one of the analysis or search threads is in a race condition and slowly eating up resources. 970 is a bit better than the previous version what would fail in the same manner after about a day. I guess there are still some gremlins for Roon to fix?

Hi,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup and the nature of the issue using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they have a clear understanding of how your devices are connected.

The problem just reoccured with Roon Build 987. I installed that version (the latest) two days ago and it hung after about a day and a half. Once thing I noticed that heralded the failure was the searches from another Mac running as a roon client to the Mac mini started to fail. Anyway, here are the system details:

Mac mini (16GB RAM, 2.6GHz Quad-Core i7)
Mac OS X 10.15.7 (19H1922)
Library on Synology NAS running DSM 7.1, Tidal as a streaming service
Mixed 10Gb & 1Gb switched network topology (Netgear managed switches)
iFi Zen Stream & dCS Bartok as Roon endpoints

Note: I did perform a Sample on Roon while it was hung, so I have that backtrace if your engineers want to take a look at it.

Thanks!

Hey @The_Leisurely_Loris ,

Thanks for sharing the setup details! Is there any pattern to what causes the hangs to occur? Do you navigate to a specific view in Roon to trigger it?

Does this issue only occur when using the other Mac as a remote? Or can it occur when using the Core directly?

You can upload it to our log collector and I’ll take a look, thanks!

https://workdrive.zohoexternal.com/collection/8i5239cc05950ac07456889838d9319545a82/external

I did upload the sample to the URL you provided last weekend. I’ve also noticed that it might be related to the Roon UI being minimized to the Dock for long periods of time. After the last having issue, I left the UI on screen (not minimized) and Roon seemed much happier.

Hey @The_Leisurely_Loris ,

How long does it take for Roon to enter this state? Are you able to reproduce the issue on a temporarily fresh Roon database as well?

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup
2 Likes

Hi @The_Leisurely_Loris,

I hope you’re doing well and that this problem hasn’t been plaguing your listening experience in Roon over the last few days.

I wanted to check in on the status of this issue, as Noris is away for the next few days and I’ll swapping in. We want to make sure we’re here to help bring your issue to a swift resolution, so when you have a chance to follow the steps @noris previous posted above to refresh your Roon database, please let us know. Thank you!

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Mac Mini Core Becomes Unresponsive and Requires Frequent Restarts

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.