Background analysis on Control device or Nas?

HI,

Background analysis is horribly slow in my setup. (opened udp port 9002, and disabled VPN for now… sshh) Seems it can’t be the processor, resource manager only gives 2% processor activity as i write, while background analysis is going on. Ive installed 3 gb memory, that never reaches over 50% usage. Swapping isn’t an issue either according to resource manager…

Ive got Roon Server on the Synology Nas, reading 3 main directories (local folders) on the NAS and the Roon control software on my Macbook Air. Writing Roon database on a Nas attached SSD.

I would have thought the background analysis taking place on the Nas, but every time i load the Roon control app on my Macbook, i can witness its progress, presumably synchronized with the control app, not the server. Stopping the control app stops background analysis? No progress is made coming home after a days work, firing up the Roon control app on the Mac ??

Cheers,
Marius

Normally this background analysis should take place on the server and it should not be dependent of the control app.
Can you check again, that you are indeed connected to the synology device (“General”-tab in the settings)?
It should give you the Library name and IP address of your Synology Server.

HI Christopher,

Yes i am logged into the Nas Server.
Im checking on another Mac now, and i can see progress has been made (have the original Air still connected too though, maybe thats what kept Roon running now).

Besides that, is still is very very slow. Ive asked Roon development for some checking and control utilities, a feature request was posted, i believe the team responded with acknowledgement.

Marius

The control app is not involved in Background Analysis at all. It happens completely on the server.

It’s worth checking to make sure that your audio analysis speeds are set to “fast”. We default them to a throttled setting to avoid triggering CPU fans. This uses about 30% of one CPU core. If you turn it up to fast it will use a full CPU core In the future we will probably provide options to parallelize analysis across multiple CPUs, but that is not there right now.

If that doesn’t help, flag @eric and he will help you troubleshoot.

Thanks Brian,

No it doesn’t help, I’ve tried switching between modes before without success.

Lets get Eric to help :wink:

Marius

Hi @M_ten_Harmsen_van_de ----- Sorry for the inconvenience here. I’d like to gather some logs from you to get to our developers and will be contacting you via PM momentarily on how to do so. Thanks!

-Eric

thanks,
Managed to finally finish a hdd filled with Mp3’s. restarting Roon twice gave an extra 115 or so tracks to analyze which went rather quickly.
Adding a test folder on the NAS, with one album in Flac, 20+ files, again took very long. It didn’t finish.
For the sake of testing, i put the same folder on the hdd (attached to my Macbook running the server software). Can say the went much faster…

I made a screenshot of the resource monitor on my Nas, Roon server running on the MacbookAir, while indexing and analyzing the extra flac files, and it seems no specific under-specs are to be noted, all are well up to their task?

Note that some other servers are running also (Plex, Minim ). Seems to justify the conclusion that my NAS, though not up to Roons described minimum specs, isn’t the bottleneck here?

Will test adding the same Mp3’s on my NAS next, to see whether the difference between HDD and NAS is of significance.

So far looking NAS is behaving quite well:

Below the resources on the Nas, with Roon Server running on the NAS, still resources aren’t put to the test so it seems?
Adding files showed more effort, but went fine, background analysis is still very very slow.

Cheers,
Marius

HI,

reading the roonserver logs, i see a lot of warnings going on:

Warn: [query] too many dirty items. rebuilding query instead of re-sorting item-by-item

Trace: [library] finished with 409 dirty tracks 45 dirty albums 2 dirty performers 89 dirty works 1 dirty performances 2 dirty creditroles 0 clumping tracks, 0 compute tracks, 0 deleted tracks, 1 tracks to (re)load, 0 tracks to retain, and 94 changed objects
Above log entries are only with flac files.

and many many of these seemingly only with MP3 files:

Warn: [storage/directory] Failed to extract audio format from xxxxxxx .mp3 : CorruptFile

could this have anything to do with the fact that the files are being read from the NAS, instead of an attached HDD on the macbook?

Cheers,
Marius