Backing off of ROCK

I’m going to put up for sale an i3 NUC.

I’m going to install ROCK for those souls who believe ROCK improves their auditory experience.

Once I update the BIOS can I, if it should prove necessary, re-install WIN10 or will the BIOS updated for ROCK not allow a subsequent re-install of WIN10?

Thanks

Don’t think it touches the BIOS I think the recommendation is just to have the latest version installed.

1 Like

Windows probably prefers the UEFI mode, not Legacy as ROCK does.

Not sure if there’s something special with SecureBoot and W10 - but installation should work as @ged_hickman1 said, maybe just not (re-)activating SecureBoot (?).

1 Like

I just updated the NUCs BIOS thru Intel’s update notification.
So, I should be good to go.

I’ll see what happens. I always assumed that ROCK BIOS was something special.

Thanks

I tried ROCK but it didn’t work with my DAC for upsampling, so reverted to WIN 10. I didn’t need to make any further changes to the BIOS for Windows to work.

1 Like

Nope, you’re all good to go Slim. There is no ROCK specific BIOS update.

Step 1 - Download The Latest BIOS

The first step is to visit Intel’s website and download the latest BIOS for your device. You can find the latest BIOS by visiting Intel’s Download Center and searching for your NUC’s model

https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK:_Updating_and_Configuring_BIOS_On_Your_NUC

1 Like

I haven’t updated my bios since installing rock over a year ago…so even an older bios on a current Nuc is probably ok…but updating wont do any harm and it allows you to go in and make the bios changes which is more important to get right before rock installation anyway.

1 Like

I’m not sure why the Nucleus and ROCK documentation still insists that a necessary step is to update the BIOS. I recall that at the time when ROCK was first being made available, it certainly was. The 6th generation NUCs that were available at the time had an issue (with the voltage regulator) where the NUC could be bricked. Intel brought out a BIOS update that needed to be installed on all NUCs out in the field.

1 Like

On the other hand side it probably won’t hurt to update the BIOS at least once. :wink: If ROCK’s going to run on the NUC chances are high that after the initial setup BIOS updates won’t ever happen again - until, as I understood Slim’s case here - ROCK gets thrown out and the NUC will get another life.

1 Like

Go ahead and install Windows. Win10 will install on both legacy and uefi bios.
For the record: rock doesn’t do anything to the bios.

1 Like