Backing up Nucleus Plus

Does my full music library on a QNAP NAS need to be loaded when backing up the nucleus plus metadata to an external hard drive?

Roon’s database backup does not backup your music files. You need to be backing those up yourself outside of Roon.

Understand that; but does the library have to be loaded when you back up the database?

If you remove the music, the database will update to show you have no music in your collection.
It will then back up that you have no music. I have no idea why you would want to present and remove your library with any frequency, but you asked what if . . .

1 Like

But it would have all the metadata needed to restore the nucleus plus if you need to?

No, not if you run a backup with your music files disconnected. As @MamaTried mentioned, if you remove the music your database will update accordingly, i.e. you’ll be backing up the fact that you have no music in your library.

Would you then be able to import the music library?

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by “import the music library”, and from reading back through this thread I’m starting to get the impression that we’re talking at cross purposes. Could you explain your original question in a bit more detail, i.e. exactly what you’re trying to achieve and why you’re asking about the NAS and your music library in relation to creating a backup? It might also be useful if you explain what type of backup you’re referring to, i.e. backing up Roon’s database and/or backing up your music files.

Backing up data base stored on nucleus plus. Following which one would fire up the NAS and import the library into Roon

I’m still not 100% sure I understand the question, but my advice would be to make sure your NAS is powered on when you back up Roon’s database.

The question is simple: can you back up the nucleus plus metadata by itself separately, then start up roon and connect to the nucleus plus and then start up the nas to import the music library? It may take one of the Roon people to answer this question.

Perhaps Roon’s KB article on backups will help. As it states:

Your Roon database is full of information about the music you love. In addition to your library’s metadata, it also contains any edits you’ve made, your play history, all of your Roon playlists, your favorites, your settings, and more. All of this information is stored in your Roon Database. This database is designed to be extremely resilient but catastrophic events like failing hard drives, power cuts, or other unexpected disturbances can corrupt your database. In rare cases, corrupt databases can be unrecoverable, so it’s important you backup regularly to avoid losing data.

So, to answer the first part of your question, no, you can’t just backup the metadata by itself as a Roon backup also includes information regarding play lists, play counts, favourites, settings, and so on.

You can stop Roon and use a third party software app to make a backup.
Then restart Roon. I believe this is your ask.

You can not use the backup mechanism found within Roon to backup in the manner you wish.

Exactly–all that information is in the metadata backup of your nucleus +

If the storage location(s) watched by Roon is either detached or Disabled, the backup will still contain all the database records of your library, edits, etc. The only way this data is removed is if the database is Reset, or, you go through the Cleaning Process under Settings/Library.

2 Likes

I stand corrected.

Thanks for your reply; with Build 884, I was able to backup my nucleus plus with the qnap detached but have not been able to back it up otherwise. Have never had this problem in the past. Is Roon looking into backup issues at this time?

Hi Norman,

I am not sure what Roon is/is not looking into. As far as I understand, the change to backup was only to include a test prior to backup for database integrity. The actual backup section was not changed, again, as far as I know. Keep in mind, Moderators, like me, are volunteers and not official Roon staff; so, we don’t have any greater insight into “whats being worked on” than any other user.

1 Like

Is there a link to this test for database integrity?

No, it is only part of the backup process.