Backing Up Roon Database

Hello again Noris. I’ve been communicating with Nuno at Innuos for the last 10 days or so, trying out various further suggestions that he made and checking out the network sharing changes tried so far on my laptop.

The very good news is that I’ve now managed to get the Roon database to backup to a shared folder on my laptop. Took about 25 mins to backup library for around 1250 CDs (24K individual tracks/items) – I don’t have a fast fibre broadband sadly.

On the back of this success, I’ve now been able to go ahead and purchase my Roon membership. Really pleased, as it’s a great product.

I’m just going to detail here in brief what processes I’ve most recently gone through to achieve this, both for your interest and to establish on the Community Forum a potential solution in case of others in future having similar problems.

• Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Advanced Settings

• Ensure that on Private Network (and General Network) the following settings are enabled:

• Turn on Network Discovery
  • Turn on File and Printer Sharing
  • Create on laptop a shared destination folder for the Roon Backup to be sent to with all possible permissions enabled

• Use IPv4 address of laptop in Network Share path entered in Roon > Settings > Backups, rather than the alphabetical host name of the laptop

The Roon database core held in the Zenmini should then be able to talk to the network shared folder on the laptop, and perform and store a backup successfully.

To sum up: it’s all a case of ensuring the Network Sharing on the laptop has been fully enabled; that all parts of the Network are enabled to be able to talk to each other [see earlier posts from Blackjack and others with relevant “How to…” documents attached]; you’ve got a shared destination folder on the laptop, and that you use the IPv4 address rather than the host name in the destination path.

It seems that… when Windows and Innuos/ZenMini tried to talk to each other across the network, the different OS languages were failing to understand each other fully. A low-level “ping” was effective, but trying higher level contact required the use of the IPv4 address.

Hope that’s useful info for everyone. And thanks to all contributing Community Members for their patience and continued help and suggestions in solving this problem for me over the past 6 weeks. Your kindness and expertise has been very much appreciated.

2 Likes