Backing up Roon to a USB external drive connected to a Nucleus

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus Roon 1.7 drawing music from a library located on a NAS and tidal and qobuz

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

bel canto e.One stream connected via ethernet

Description Of Issue

I was able to do a manual backup to the same folder location as the music library on the NAS. But I also want to backup to a USB external drive so that I have another copy for possible stashing in safe deposit box along with music library. Roon gives me the following error message when I try:
Backup failed at 17:12:15/Backup directory not available

There is an existing RoonBackups directory on the USB drive that was created when I backed up a previous Roon Core hosted on a Mac mini. I was able to restore from this previous backup to my new Roon Core on the Nucleus via the aforementioned USB drive. I tried connecting the USB drive to my MacBook Pro instead but Roon doesn’t see it and I can’t navigate to it that I can see (the MacBook is only a Roon Remote).

How can I back up to multiple locations including a USB drive?

Hi @john_Busch,

How is this USB drive formatted?

Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

But the funny thing is, regardless, Roon Nucleus was able to read it and restore from the previous Core backup on the same USB drive that was plugged into it directly.

Hello @john_Busch,

I found a helpful article here which details that Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is a read-only format. Could you please reformat the drive to one of the accepted formats (I’d try FAT32) and see if that works? Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.