"Backup Failed at xxx / Error backing up database."

@support @mike

I noticed tonight that my scheduled backups started failing on October 5. I have had flawless automatic nightly backups to two locations for a few years. I had not noticed that these backups suddenly were failing until I had a failed manual backup tonight. I then looked at my old backups and saw that they had been failing for a week.

I have tried backing up to a different disc and got a failure there too.

Nothing new in my setup in this period (MacMini late 2012, Mojave 10.14). My Mac passes Apple Diagnostics. My backup folder is on the Mac’s local Fusion drive.

I have tried restarting Roon, rebooting my Mac, rebooting my NAS.

As I said, I have never seen this error until tonight. I have tried doing a manual backup several times and all have failed. They don’t fail immediately upon starting backup but only after several minutes of “Preparing Backup.”

It could be connected to the more thorough Privacy settings introduced with Mojave. Things to try:

• Are the folders you were backing to up within the home folder hierarchy accessible to the user Roon runs as - if not maybe you could move the backup location within this hierarchy?
  • I’m just guessing but what happens if you allow Roon Full Disk Access under System Preferences >>> Security and Privacy >>> Privacy?

@anon47919701, thanks for those suggestions! I tried them both, unsuccessfully.

The backup directory was already in the Roon user’s hierarchy, but I hadn’t considered Mojave’s new Privacy settings.

I gave Roon Full Disk Access as you suggested and attempted another backup. It, too, failed.

Thank you again for thinking about my problem!

It was just a guess. You’re Mac has still enough storage space left, btw?
Another thing to try would be to set up a new backup schedule / location from within Roon. Just to see if that works or raises some error message helping to track the problem down.

Thanks again for responding.

Yes, there is enough storage space. I have been trying manual backups and they aren’t working.

Sorry for not being of real help … just so others may have that data point when picking up on the issue: does the last successful run of your scheduled backups relates to the Mojave update somehow? Did any automated backup run after the upgrade?

Great question… Mojave was released on September 24. I installed it on September 25. My last successful nightly backup was on October 5.

Of course I follow your line of inquiry that this issue is related to Mojave, so I welcome any other suggestions (like your Security preferences one above) that might relate.

I also wonder whether Mojave changed the nature of SMB mounts as this issue has occasionally messed Roon up for me in the past. I use a Drobo 5N2 as my NAS. Generally, its SMB mounting has been excellent and much improved over previous Drobos that I have used. But I am experimenting with that now.

Thanks again, @anon47919701!

Hello @Dan_Levy,

So we can better assist you here, may I ask that you please share screenshots of the backup locations that are failing in Roon? Just to verify, all backup locations are failing (even backing up to local storage)?

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Thanks!

The error occurred just now at 9:26:37.

Yes, all backup locations are failing. Generally they are only local storage, but recently I tried a backup to a NAS and it failed too.
thanks

Hey @Dan_Levy,

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Thanks!

Thank you, Dylan…should I initiate a new backup now that diagnostics are enabled?

Hey @Dan_Levy,

Thanks for your patience here while the team has been reviewing the diagnostics report. In order to assist with the investigation, the team is hoping you could provide some additional information. Please see below:

First, you’ll need to find your Roon database:

1. Open Finder and click Go in the top bar
  2. Hold down the Option key to unhide the Library folder
  3. Click the Library folder

Once you’ve accessed the Roon folder, navigate to Roon/Database/Core/c390a023c4c74ae7853043ee16c6e575/images_1/me/ib/meibaaaa.1024.jpg.

Do you see the meibaaaa.1024.jpg file? If so, can you zip it up and share it with us via a shared Dropbox link?

Additionally, can you confirm whether you previously backed up to the /Users/danlevy/Library/Roon folder?

Thanks!
Dylan

@dylan, sending you that file is easier said than done!

I could not compress it, attach it to an e-mail, or send to another local computer either as a normal file transfer or with AirDrop, even though the file is only 107k in size. What is the story with that file?

I tried quitting Roon and doing those steps and the same thing happened.

The other question: no, I haven’t backed up to that ~/Library folder

I really am not sure that the file I uploaded to Dropbox is what you are looking for…here it is:

Here it is as a zip: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2pyq6aq6elaslo/meibaaaa.1024.jpg.zip?dl=0

Thanks.

Hey @Dan_Levy,

Thanks for sharing that! I’ll be sure to pass it along to the team for further investigation. During the backup process Roon had trouble accessing that file, which appears to be the cause for the backup failing according to the diagnostics report. The team is going to take a look and I’ll be sure to let you know when I’ve received their feedback.

Thanks,
Dylan

Thanks, @dylan

Any word about my failing backups? I did try backing up to a new external location and also got “Backup Failed.”

1 Like

Hey @Dan_Levy,

I checked in with the technical team and they have confirmed that there is an issue with that particular file which seems to be the cause for the backup failure. This has been escalated to our senior development team for additional feedback and next steps.

In the meantime the team was wondering if you are able to open that file that you shared with us at all on your machine. Please let us know and I’ll also be sure to update you as soon as I receive additional feedback from the team.

Thanks for your patience while we investigate, Dan. It’s truly appreciated!

Thanks, @dylan

Nope, can’t open that file. In fact when I tried, Preview crashed. The crash report is too big to paste in here but I’m happy to mail it if it would be helpful.

Hey @Dan_Levy,

I appreciate your patience here while the team has been investigating! Our development team has looked into this and have made a suggestion for next steps here. Please see the steps outlined below:

1. Restore the last successful backup of Roon
  2. Let Roon run for a couple of days like normal
  3. Try to make a backup as you normally would

Let us know if you see the same behavior return even from the restored version of Roon or if you’re able to successfully make the backup.

Thanks!
Dylan

2 posts were split to a new topic: Backup errors out at 7%