Backup failed to USB attached to NUC [Resolved]

@support
Backup fails and i get a Backup Directory not available error. I am backing up to a usb that is formatted with exFat My ROCK installation is on a NUC. I had the same issue trying to backup to my NAS.

Hi @Peter_Christian ---- Thank you for the report and sharing this observation you’ve made with us, both are very appreciated!

Moving forward, may I kindly ask you to please reproduce the issue, note the time when the observation is made, and then use the instructions found here to send us logs from your NUC.

-Eric

Here is a link to the log files

Hi @Peter_Christian ----- Thank you for touching base with me, confirming that the logs have been received and are in our teach team’s queue for evaluation.

Once they have completed their analysis of the traces found in the logs, I will be sure to share their thoughts/findings with you ASAP.

Your patience is very appreciated!
-Eric

Hi @Peter_Christian ----- Thank you for your patience while our techs have been looking into this issue you’ve reported to us.

Moving forward, based off the traces found in the supplied logs the team has noted that the drive does indeed become unreachable by the application which would explain why you are seeing the mentioned error message while trying to perform a backup. In light of this, the team has asked for the following:

• Please provide the make/model of the external HD being used.

• Can you confirm that you are able to create a “new” folder on the mentioned drive via Roon?

• Go into “Settings” and chose the “Backups” tab.

• Click “browse” next to “Find Backups”

• Choose the external drive from the column on the left hand side and click “new folder”

• During your troubleshooting of this behavior have you tried…

• Testing with a new USB cable?

• Trying a different USB port on the NUC?

• Trying a different USB based storage device with the NUC to see how it functions?

-Eric

HI Eric,
Some answers to your questions;

1. I am using a PNY 128GB USB stick
  2. I created a “new folder”. we’ll see how that works
  3. I tried this USB thumb drive in various USB ports to no avail.
    I am also using an external drive connected to a USB port with no problems
  • Pete

Hi @Peter_Christian ---- Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions. Both are appreciated!

I wanted to touch base and see how the "new folder’ has been holding up? Looking forward to your feedback!

-Eric

Eric,
No joy… it still doesn’t work.
Pete

Thanks for the follow up @Peter_Christian, and providing me with an updated.

I want to get my techs some more information about this behavior you’re experiencing with your NUC + PNY (128GB) USB stick. Would you kindly please provide me with the following:

• Screenshots of the error you are seeing in Roon when the backup fails.

• Please briefly outline the steps you are taking (procedurally speaking), when you perform a backup to the mentioned thumb drive.

• I am not sure if you are making use of “dropbox based” backups or have tried to, but can you confirm if there are any issues via that method?

-Eric

Eric,
I switched to the DropBox backup and it is working fine. I have some time this weekend if you want me to try the NUC+PNY USB stick again.

Pete

Hi @Peter_Christian — Thank you for touching base with me and providing the observations made while using dropbox to perform the Roon backup procedure. Pleased to hear that this is functioning as expected.

Moving forward, this configuration (NUC + USB stick) should be working. If you could provide me with the additional feedback from my previous post, I would like to see if we can determine what is causing this behavior to occur.

• Screenshots of the error you are seeing in Roon when the backup fails.
  • Please briefly outline the steps you are taking (procedurally speaking), when you perform a backup to the mentioned thumb drive.

-Eric

Eric,
I set my backup to work with my NUC+USB and everything is now working fine.

Thanks,
Pete

1 Like