Backup falling in 2020

Core Machine (Operating system/…)
Mac mini 2010 OS high-Sierra, Wifi connection.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
USB to DAC including in my Goldmund power amp.

Description Of Issue
Impossible to realise a backup.
I have tried to my SSD on my Mac and in my USB SSD, same message.

Sorry but I can’t make screen shot.
Thanks for help

Hi @Lionel_Briot,

A screenshot would really help here, why is it not possible to send one? Do you see any error messages displayed? If you cannot provide a screenshot because the error message went away, perhaps you can provide a screenshot of your Roon Settings -> Backups tab? Instructions how how to perform screenshots: http://kb.roonlabs.com/Screenshots

Hi,
Some screen from my iPad, in fact I don’t have a tv screen with my mac mini.
I had delete my old backup and make new folders, but impossible to save.
Thanks

The folder “Bibliothèque iTunes” is on an external SSD connected on USB to the Mac mini

The last screen shot is not the good one with the wright way :slight_smile:
But the result is the same.
After few secondes (40), backup message appear

Hi @Lionel_Briot,

Is there enough free space on these drives for a new Roon backup? Have you tried to reboot your Core yet?

Hi,

Core rebooted many times.

I don’t know how a backup need?

A strange thing, on my External SSD, it must have only music!

I don’t know what « other » is, and it’s almost the same size than audio.

All my libriary is on AIFF, and i have 7077 tracks.

Thanks

Hi @Lionel_Briot,

Thanks for checking the space. According to your screenshot, it looks like the backup failed at 22:39 on Jan 19th. I wonder if logs would provide some more information, can you please use these instructions to upload a set to Dropbox / Google Drive and send it to me via private message? If you don’t have either method just let me know and I can provide alternate upload methods.

Hi @Lionel_Briot,

Thanks for sending those logs over, I have located the error traces and I have escalated your case over to QA for some more in-depth feedback. Once I have news I will reach out to you once more, thanks for your patience.

Hi @Lionel_Briot,

Thank you again for your patience while our technical team has been looking into this issue for you.

I spoke with our team today regarding their evaluation of the logs from your install. Sometimes, errors like the one you saw can be spurious, but unfortunately in this case they are seeing signs of low level corruption in your database.

This type of error is extremely rare for us and not one that we see often. Our database infrastructure is designed specifically to prevent this type of corruption, and we don’t take this class of issue lightly.

We’ve traced a few reports like this in the past to hard drive integrity issues but generally speaking, this means that Roon is reading information from your hard drive that is different from what was originally written, and the database is now unable to load properly.

What’s Next?

If you’ve been making regular backups, my advice would be to install Roon fresh on your Core machine, and roll back to one of your backups. If the database loads properly, your edits, playlists, tags, etc should be intact, and we can confirm everything is performing properly once it’s been restored.

If you do not have any older backups, unfortunately you will need to start with a fresh database.

Again, this class of issue is extremely rare for us and you have our apologies for the trouble here.

Thanks for your answer
Impossible for me to start a new database
I had upload many pictures of artiste and other correction.
I prefer stay without backup.
It’s my second mistake with Roon.
Very furstreted !
Regards

Hello @Lionel_Briot,

I understand the reluctance to start with a new database, but the old one is not stable any longer and you may experience other issues with Roon in the future. To start with a fresh database, you can use these instructions:

• Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Restart/Reinstall the Roon App to generate a new Roon folder

Hi Noris,
I Will check that and give you a feedback
Thanks

1 Like

Hello,
I have reinstall a new Roon.
How can I rediscover my personal pictures of artiste or cover ?
Is ti possible in the « Roon_old »folder ?
And my favorites tracks?
It’s very frustrating to pay so much and loose every customisation…
Regards

Hello @Lionel_Briot,

Can you confirm if you have any older backups of your system? You can’t use any of the information from Roon_old since it is in a corrupted state, but if you have older backups we can try using one of those and verify if the backup was made before the corruption occurred. I would try a backup at least a week or two before this issue started.

I had deleted all my backup when the problem strarted
I thought that backups were the problems
I only need artists pictures that I had searched and saved
if I can see pictures, I could save them and put them in my new Roon ?

Hi @Lionel_Briot,

The database was the issue here, not necessarily all the backups and rolling back to one of your older backups was a possible solution as mentioned in my response above:

If you rename the Roon_old folder back to Roon, you will have access to your old database. The only way I see being able to export the images is if you load up the old database and take screen captures of each artist individually, and that might take some time.

If you wish to do this, that’s fine but there is no way that you can export the individual images just from the Roon_old folder and it has to be a manual process if there are no longer any older backups available.

Hi noris
I wondered if it is possible to create a post or a section for artworks
For artist
For album…

Mostly for artist without artwork, and make them oficial artwork by Roon team ?

Because it’s very annoying to upload own pictures at each changes

Regards

Hi @Lionel_Briot,

If you create a Roon Backup, all of the artwork should be saved there and if you have any issues in the future you can restore the backup to get your library back to the same way it currently it. Meaning, you should only have to make the artwork change once and then any subsequent backups should contain you edits.