Backup speed is slow

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 64 bit
Roon 1.7 64 bit

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Asus RT-AC3200 router
Qnap TS469L (four bay Raid drive)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Meridian MC200
Meridian MC600
Ethernet RJ45

Description Of Issue

Moved from Meridian to Roon.
Meridian files/database connected to Roon.
About 9600 albums.

Seagate 3 TB backup drive.

Backup speed is slow.

Tried running the Backup drive through a USB hub. Took 11 hours to backup 9% of the Qnap. Stopped the backup.

Reformatted the Backup drive. Disconnected drive from USB hub and connected directly to the Windows computer.

Backup has been running for 6 hours…only 11% is backed up.

Is this normal for first time backup of a Meridian to Roon system?

Are you trying to back up your Roon database, or all the music on the QNAP? Is Roon running on the Windows PC?
It should not take a long time to back up the Roon database via Roon. Of course, it will take a long time to back up 9600 albums.

Thanks for the note.

It is supposed to be backing up the Roon database.

Roon is running on the Windows box.

There is nothing else on the Qnap.

As of now it is 4:03 pm Pacific Time. The backup started at 9:00 am Pacific time. Thus far it has backed up 12%.

The first time I backed up the Meridian database it took 3 days.

can you share a screenshot of Settings>Backup>Scheduled Backups?

Hi @Doug_Thompson,

Can you share a screenshot of your backup settings in Settings > Backup?

How many tracks total do you have in your library?

Tracks: alot

Hi @Doug_Thompson,

Can you provide the specific number of tracks? You can find this by going to the Overview screen in Roon.

Can we take is off line?

Please keep this online, Doug. I’m sure there are a number of people who are wondering why it takes so long to perform a backup, me among them. Thanks!

If you are curious, this might be helpful.
If the database is large, the first backup will take some time. Incremental backups done regularly should be relatively quick. Overall, speed isn’t necessarily critical for a backup.

Thanks for the info, Scott! Appreciate it. (Happy New Year!)

1 Like

Yes, it is a fair sized database.

Yes, it is being backed up for the first time.

Yes, as mentioned earlier I had the same experience with Meridian backup for the first time.

Yes, subsequent backups were faster.

I realize that it may be slower because of the backup to a USB external. Probably quicker if I backed up to the computer.

@Doug_Thompson — I’ve sent you a PM.

Just the facts

1. The backup started Sunday January 12 at 9:00 am.
  2. The backup concluded Wednesday January 15 at 9:00 am.
  3. This was a first-time Roon backup.
  4. When compared to the first-time Sooloos backup the length of time was nearly the same.
  5. The backup consists of (A) transferring/backing up the QNAP database, (B) through a Windows 10 HP touchscreen (C ) to a 4 TB external HDD drive.

What could be done differently?

• Transfer the backup directly to the data storage on the HP computer.
  • Transfer the backup directly to Solid State Drives.

Ride easy, Doug

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.