Bad sound quality with Roon [Resolved, Ethernet Switch]

Hi Carl

I can’t log into the link, but what’s the idea with these files…
I’m not interested in converting my files. Music is to by left as they are, everything else will make them sound different and not better… IMO.

Those are footers, right?

Is your Synology placed in the same Hi-Fi rack as the rest of your audio setup, including the Lumin player and your amp?

Could you physically move the Synology away from your audio setup, as far away as possible?

Hi Peter
Yes they are kind of footers (the best I’ve ever heard)

Right now the synology is placed in the same rack as the rest of my gear to get best possible decoupling.

It is possible to move the synology out from the rack and place it on the floor far away, but then I need to apply longer network cables and longer DC cables, and usually this will infect the sound.
Why are you suggesting this, and what are you thinking?

Oh crap,

Sounds like typical audiophile over exageration. Sorry,.but while I believe decoupling can make a slight difference it is never ever an “insane improvement” never. If it is to you why not ditch this obviously terrible NAS all together.

5 Likes

Everyone has his opinion;-)

Well I’ll guess you didn’t try the ones I mentioned… so why not keep an open mind;-)

There are many that don’t work but these actually does!!

If you followed the thread from the beginning you’d notice that my nas works great and does a really good job… the problem lies elsewhere. (Maybe in the missing LPS or software).

I only wanted to share my discovery and enthusiasm with these decouplers so that other geeks can benefit from it.

This has got nothing to do with an opinion or not having an open mind, it’s over exageration. Thes might be nice feet but common! “insane improvement”!? this NAS has to be really bad if decoupling makes such a gigantic difference. Ditch it, switch to ssd’s if mechanical coupling seems to be the culprit.

My NAS lives in the garage. As it isn’t attached to the house, would this qualify as suitably decoupled?

5 Likes

But seriously, before messing around and blaming power supplies and praising decoupling feet have you ever wanderd what the differnce is between the lumin streamer and Roon? Lumin has got it’s own built in software that is remotly controlled by a smartphone app. There is no software installed on you NAS for it, it only excesses your files most probably by samba. Now you are comparing this with Roon installed on a NAS that has a processor that has only 50% of the power that is adviced by Roon for small libraries. So while the NAS might be perfectly fine for Lumin it is underpowered for Roon. Try installing Roon core on a faster computer and report back.

Actually I believe Lumin uses OpenHome, so the NAS is probably running a UPnP server. But same applies, UPnP server does way less than Roon Core.

I have the same NAS. It has no problems up-sampling to DSD256, with a processing rate of x2.8.

I don’t believe Thomas is up-sampling or doing CPU intensive DSP, so the NAS processing power shouldn’t be an issue at all.

Definitely agree with Peter’s suggestion, to move it outside of the listening room.

This is a head scratcher. Hopefully it’s not just an ad for feet :joy: I only joke of course.

It’s just one long ethernet cable required and no need for a long DC power cable. You can power the NAS locally nearby, outside the listening room, just with it’s stock PSU.

Have you swapped out network cables as part of the troubleshooting?

I agree with you Sean regarding the cpu/power… it’s more than enough. I only use maximum 25% cpu when Roon is running, and I got 8gb of ram and an NVMe ssd to help caching.
I did (as a test) try to install Roon on a pc and that gave me worse audiosound.

But an linear psu IS needed for the nas… when I first tried it on my router and my old nas I was blown away…
I gives much more control and bass is more tight and details Is clearer, so therefore I do need a longer DC cable also;-)
But surely I will try what Peter suggested, but I need to buy a set of cables first.
I’ll get back with the results next week

Now that shouldn’t be an issue since it’s the same cable used to feed the Lumin streamer.

I agree if your NAS is connected to your HiFi gear (mains power in your case) then a linear PSU can make an audible difference. When I used to have my NAS directly connected to my DAC (long ago), the linear PSU did help.

In my case now, with the NAS in a different room and isolated from the HiFi gear, the NAS’s stock PSU is enough.

I’m looking forward to your observations when your linear PSU arrives but I’m still very surprised that the SQ is currently as bad as you say. It shouldn’t be so night and day but I’ve seen and heard stranger things before (in my own systems in the past).

Hi,

I have owned all the Lumin products from S1 down and including your A1. Lumin has a nice app and is very easy to use but when Roon is set up with a Sonore Network player and sonic Transporter, the sound is much better than Lumin. It takes time to set up things properly but when you take that time, you will be rewarded in the end.

Cheers,

It most probably is only just an audible difference nothing more then that. I mean common guys, someone who is claiming an “Insane improvement” from a pair of coupling feet under a NAS is most probably over exaggerating other things regarding audio playback as well.

1 Like

Hi Sean

Well it not night & day, but there’s a difference.
I now explore music through Roon’s nice Platform, but play it through the lumin software (if I’m listening seriously).

Sjelf,
Yes it is an audible difference…!!

I don’t understand why you need to keep commenting on my excitement over these decouplers… you haven’t tried them so you don’t know what audible enhancement they gave me!
I don’t know what gear you got but usually guys like you who comment like you do only got a mid-fi stereo, and therefore can’t hear the same things as other… :wink:

But listen, I’m always looking for the “holy grail” and if I can make the sound better with whatever it is (software, tweaks, etc) then I’ll do it (within my budget).

Example: I sold my Nordost Tür speaker cables and bought my present Anzus speaker cables (20.000/pair) because I’ve noticed an audible difference an in my ears it was A HUGE upgrade.
You obviously don’t share my enthusiasm, and I would appreciate if you would stop commenting if you’re not interested in helping solve the issue this thread is about. Thanks

I believe Roon advocates moving the heavy processing (in form of Roon Core) away from the listening room. This helps reduce EMI/RFI from NAS to affect the audio equipment.

You said you have a switch that feeds six rooms, so I suppose it’s possible to find another room to place your Synology without needing very long Ethernet and DC cable.

If you can hear a difference with footers added to the NAS, I’m afraid your audio equipment is sensitive to vibration, especially tube amp and some types of capacitors.

Additional CPU load can also have an effect on the NAS fan. So people go through the trouble to make their Roon Core fanless, including Roon Nucleus and SonicTransporter.

Also consider the tweak I mentioned in PM.

1 Like

I haven’t listened to the Sonore, but i get nice reviews though.
but this thread is about why there’s a big difference I audio quality IMO when using Roon vs. lumin.