Basic version of Roon for less money?

Hah, I was younger then. The ravages of time have taken their toll :slight_smile:

Again, itā€™s the rich metadata that we are paying for. All these features such as multiple endpoints etc etc came after and the price hasnā€™t gone up because of them.

How some feel removing them should cause the price to decrease is bizarre. They didnā€™t cause the price to inflate in the first place.

I doubt theyā€™re aimed at the same target market, ones mass market, the other isnā€™t.

Completely disagree. Roon is a specialized program for a niche audience. Itā€™s not a mass market product. I prefer Roon working on making itself the best music delivery program you can buy. Roon developer time is better spent on program improvement, not establishing a bottom tier pricing menu. There are lots of options out there. Roon pricing is still very reasonable. There are two options available, annual and lifetime. Having tiered pricing for different Roon options would be nothing short of a mess.

12 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more. :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Name a product where you are not paying for features you don not use.

I have never used all functionality of OS X, Windows, Microsoft Word, Av Receiver, Toaster, digital camera, iPhone or the gym in the last hotel I stayed in.

Maybe others are paying for features they donā€™t need but you want!

4 Likes

I suggest that Roon is extremely good value. But I wonder if those who want a cheaper version could consider reframing how they think about Roon. Not as a music player/manager but as a virtual device with extremely high capabilities. I see it as an integral part of my music reproduction system and no less important than any other device in the chain. I may not be able to pick it up and plug cables into it but, even as a virtual device, I wouldnā€™t be without it. And, as a sophisticated high end product I think itā€™s pretty reasonably priced compared to other devices on offer.

2 Likes

I think it might just be a simple case of there being people that canā€™t afford it. Is it good business for Roon to find a way to open up to those people - rather than them go off and buy another product - or not and stay more exclusive? Only they can decide.

3 Likes

Completely disagree. How messy could it possible be?

Offer a standalone player for pc/mac/phone, offering the same interface and metadata as the full version.

It would also act as a bridge for getting people hooked into the ideas that come later with multi-device-multi-room options the full experience could provide.

Options are options, just donā€™t use them if you donā€™t want them.

And in any case the guyā€™s not asking for many tiered options, but just one alternative.

It may well be that itā€™s not viable because of the costs of the maintenance of the metadata updates, but we donā€™t have any Roon supported facts at the moment in this thread to argue either way.

In general termsā€¦

I donā€™t really care myself by the way. I like it as it is, I used most of the loveliness contained in Roon but I just get a bit miffed when people are so bloomin negative when someone comes up with a suggestion. Itā€™s far too easy to nay-say anyone who brings ideas to the table than to have them oneself.

Nurture, support, further development of any seed of an idea is whatā€™s important.

The fanbase for Roon is broad and there are many reasons to adopt Roon or discard it for that matter, depending on personal or financial issues, musical knowledge, etc.

Just because some of us may be in an elite position at the top of the knowledge and financial heap of humanity shouldnā€™t preclude others finding their way to nirvana and for us to help them the best we can.

2 Likes

Afraid we must agree to disagree.

2 Likes

Ok, the lines are drawn. You carry on poopooing othersā€™ ideas and Ill continue to encourage them.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

[quote=ā€œhifi_swlon, post:29, topic:27764ā€]
I think it might just be a simple case of there being people that canā€™t afford it
[/quote]I lusted after Sooloos but couldnā€™t justify the cost and donā€™t like closed ecosystems. I made do without it and still enjoyed my music.

In contrast the cost of a lifetime license is paltry when compared against the cost of countless audio devices and Roon is just as integral a component as a DAC, preamp, power amp, speakers etc. I wonder how many claiming itā€™s expensive have multiple audio components each costing more than a lifetime Roon license. Smart folk will buy lifetime in while itā€™s still an option.

4 Likes

After reading this thread I truly support this suggestion. Although I like Roon as it is. Costing suggestions are team Roonā€™s call.

And this ā€¦ to increase FanBase and more revenue for Roon so they have resources to invent more :slight_smile: !

2 Likes

I wonder how many donā€™t.

Sooloos probably lost a lot of customers by being so expensive and exclusive - whether or not that exclusivity paid off Iā€™ve no idea - Iā€™d imagine even if a Meridian wanted to they couldnā€™t have easily made ā€˜cheaperā€™ Sooloos offerings in its heyday as there was a lot of hardware involved.

But note even now theyā€™ve tapped into the bottom end of their users with the Explorer DAC - without it those customers would have bought other brands, with it perhaps they lure more people into the Meridian ecosystem / brand loyalty.

Roon being software based means a much easier way to offer ā€˜entry levelā€™ pricing.

It doesnā€™t affect me personally, but I think itā€™s an idea worth considering. Iā€™m actually surprised so many users feel so strongly that Roon shouldnā€™t consider any way to lure another tier of customers. I guess Iā€™m more of a left wing ā€˜all encompassingā€™ kind of guy.

3 Likes

Ha ha ha ā€¦ now left wing right wing things :smile: ā€¦ ?

Not convincing anyone nor Team-Roon for swaying either way. However to invent, there has to be motivation. Money (revenue) is a good motivator. Ofcourse people like Danny might be motivated by inventing new stuff and get so called ā€œTechnical Orgasmā€ and money could be 2nd in priority list. However ā€œMā€ factor is there. And the company needs to run, support structure, support Intellectual customers like me who dont need much help (kidding :slight_smile: )

Sorry folks no more argument from me. It occurred to me and I have written it. Write or wrong is very subjective.

I would abstain from voting if there is one.

My last entry level CD player cost slightly less than Roon Lifetime, Ā£299 GBP. You will pay a lot more for most hifi hardware with any pretensions to quality. My AV amp is barely a year old and cost over Ā£2000 GBP and it isnā€™t even Roon Ready/certified (Arcam).

2 Likes

Isnā€™t this all very simple? Someone posts a suggestion re tiered pricing and ultimately it is for Roon to decide if it makes business sense. Although I am surprised by some of the arguments that it is impossible and no other product offers such a thing a little odd. I can think of very many examples of tiered pricing. As an example, someone mentioned they do not use every feature of their computer operating system. Then take Windows 10, it is available as a more expensive ā€˜Proā€™ version that you can elect not to buy. Streaming services such as Spotify offer various levels of membership. JRiver you can buy, and when they come out with a bigger and better version, you can choose if you want to pay to upgrade or stick with what you have got. Indeed, JRiver offer a ā€˜Master Licenceā€™ or a cheaper operating system specific option. In business this kind of stuff is very common and manifests itself in a wide variety of ways. Someone mentioned a Maserati, so lets look at the car industry. Within one model you can select a variety of engines, trim levels, optional extras, you pay your money and take your choice. Lets be honest here, the entire world is flooded with countless examples of tiered pricing, from where you live to what you eat, what you wear and what you do. Some restaurants have fixed price menus, some ā€˜a la cartā€™. Choice is good, is it not? One other concept in business is that lower pricing can drive sales growth. These are basic concepts, I simply fail to understand why some folk are seemingly so offended by such a suggestion, and as I stated at the beginning, it is entirely up to Roon to decide what is best for them from a business perspective, both now in the future. For me, Iā€™d like to pay more to get the features I actually want and are not there, but thatā€™s another story! We all have different perspectives, to be honest I Iā€™d like to see a forum that is a little more civil and tolerant to the perspectives of others, which will inevitably differ from your own from time to time. OK, it is fine to challenge and explore ideas, but when the tone drifts into the pure argumentative it all becomes utterly pointless.

4 Likes

I agree. This thread should be for people to voice their requests for what they wish and the only people that really have any right to knock back any ideas, is Roon themselves.

As a lifetime member, I only care about one thing - Roon giving me a lifetime worth of fun lol

If somebody next year is able to access a cheaper and more basic version next year, it doesnā€™t negatively impact my listening experience one bit. So more power to those asking for it I say.

I really have no right to say ā€˜that idea canā€™t work for that reasonā€™ or ā€˜this idea canā€™t work for this reasonā€™. Only Roon have that right.

I really also donā€™t have a right to say that people asking for this canā€™t afford Roonā€™s current pricing. The personal reasons people may have for asking for a cheaper version of Roon, have nothing to do with anything to be honest. Certainly doesnā€™t affect my listening experience.

This thread should only really involve people asking for a cheaper basic version of Roon, and Roon themselves (if they choose to comment at any stage). It doesnā€™t really involve anyone else? Including meā€¦

:grin: Peace and love people. Letā€™s try not to become the next Computer Audiophile Forumā€¦

For those against the idea of a cheaper version of Roon I encourage you to leave this thread and join me here: What we are listening to [20xx]

Runs for cover :running_man:

4 Likes

Perhaps I misinterpreted ā€œLet me know your thoughts on the ideaā€?

Just because itā€™s a valid question doesnā€™t mean it canā€™t be questioned in turn.

I personally view ā€œmake it cheaperā€ as a somewhat disingenuous feature request. Particularly when making it cheaper in the way proposed would involve non-negligible effort, and thus has the potential to detract from the utility of existing ā€œfull-priceā€ users.

I find characterizations such as ā€œelitist or snobbishā€ equally unappealing.

I ultimately think this is a solution in search of a problem. Until and unless the official dudes step in to ask us ā€œHey, how can we attract more subscribers?ā€

1 Like

So I decided buy a Mclaren, so I go to a Mclaren dealership and tell them that I want their 720 but I donā€™t want to pay 300K for it. I want to pay 150K for it because thatā€™s what I feel I should pay for itā€¦
What do u think is going to happen?

Why do we continue down this rabbit hole if we all ready know the answer?
Move on! The price is what it is. If you canā€™t afford it, and canā€™t save up for it, than is not for you.

I have made a commitmentā€¦ I will save till I can pay for itā€¦ I am not going to try and bitch my way through the priceā€¦
Roon is an amazing program and itā€™s worth every single cent and thatā€™s just it.

3 Likes