Bass management in Roon

I haven’t been able to locate much information on these forums on how to implement bass management in Roon.

What I’m after is setting a cross-over point (say 80Hz) and routing the low frequency content of the front channels (and center/surround channels if present) to the subwoofer, in addition to discrete content that the source may contain for the SW channel, if any.

Is there a KB article or detailed guide on how to implement this?

Thanks for any guidance!

PS - no comments so far, so adding @support in case you guys can steer me in the right direction - thanks

I miss the same for the piano 2.1 dac. At the moment I either use mixer commands by ssh’ing into roopiee or simply do it manually by adjusting the knobs on the woofer and the active nearfields connected.
Both are way beyond what even much more simple software such as Volumio does allow.

Since having a spare pi and dac-hat I was even considering to form 2 endpints, group them and define one using the DSP EQ to serving the sub and the other one the nearfields … but that’s a pretty strange way getting this done. Would then turn out to be a single-room-multi-endpoint setup :wink:

@support, just following up on this to see if you could offer any thoughts/guidance on how to configure bass management in Roon? – thanks.

This is possible using Roon’s procedural EQ feature. You’d define a series of steps–one to mix the front channels into a temporary channel using a Mix step. Then a Parametric EQ step to apply the low pass filter with your 80Hz cutoff, then a second Mix step to mix the temporary channel back into the SW channel.

We do not have a guide for this, unfortunately.

Hello @StefanB & @Miguel_Rode,

A user made a short walkthrough of how to create a low-pass filter in Roon’s Procedural EQ. I’ve included a link to the post below

-John

Thank you @john and @brian. This helps, and it looks like some experimentation is in order. I’ll report back :slight_smile:

@john can’t see that any of these steps would help with a piano 2.1 dac. Because the procedural eq must allow to select the secondary L & R outputs.
But perhaps you have an idea and I got the explanation wrong?