BBC Radio 3 issues

Yes I had a lot of trouble with BBC6 Music on Sunday, I have never really had the issue before…

Ditto, still working fine here. If I plug it into DHCP at work it starts playing up again.

But, Chris says this isn’t anything to do with the fault, so I defer to his knowledge.

Hi @Margaret_Charlton,

I’m very sorry for the interruption in our responses here. While we’ve had some personnel changes internally, the team is here to support and I’d be pleased to help bring this intermittent radio issue to a swift resolution after all this time.

Looking through diagnostics from around the time you mentioned dropouts earlier this week, your Core device did reveal several internet radio playback failures:

05/18 18:57:15 Warn: [easyhttp] [9209] Get https://internetradio.roonlabs.net/2/api/stations/cbd27fd1-bd3e-46a7-9a10-01e8efdd5164?format=msgpack& web exception without response: Connection refused (35.231.208.158:443) Connection refused (35.231.208.158:443)
05/18 18:57:16 Critical: scx: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter 'channel')
   at Sooloos.Broker.Transport.Module.<>c__DisplayClass210_0.<PlayChannel>b__0(ClientContext clientcx)
   at Sooloos.SynchronizationContextThread._Dispatch(SendOrPostWrapper& ret)

However, we also discovered network errors related to Qobuz and even image gathering:

05/18 18:56:51 Warn: [broker/images] unexpected error GET'ing https://imagecache.roonlabs.net/im/1/albums/c800637239366d3879683630353862/cover/500.jpg: statuscode=999 error=System.Net.WebException: Connection refused (172.67.14.113:443)
 ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: Connection refused (172.67.14.113:443)
 ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (111): Connection refused

This indicates that there may be a network issue at play. While I know that you’ve already provided plentiful information in this thread, having the most current details of your network setup will illuminate the problem.

Just to clarify, is the above still your network setup? Do you experience dropouts when playing any content from the system output on your Windows client as well, or just the HiFiBerry endpoint?

The tech support team will be standing by for your response to finally pin this down. Thank you again for your patience.

1 Like

@Connor Davies

Hi Connor, thank you for the reply.

My system is the same, except I’ve changed my endpoint to a MiniDSP SHD. However, that was only yesterday.

I’ll start Radio 3 in Chrome and see if that glitches.

Okay I’ve done that at 17.55 BST. Let’s see.

PS: I didn’t upload any logs.

@connor

Good day, Connor. The BBC radio stream I started within Chrome/Win 10 last night is still working this morning (11.25 BST). We’ve used the network for Netflix etc during that time, on three different devices, without causing any problems to that stream.

Thank you for your assistance.

PS: listening to R3 this morning via Roon and it’s stopped several times.

Hi @Margaret_Charlton,

Thank you! I appreciate the updates and your continued patience.

Looking at the logs you sent to Kevin and the most recent diagnostic reports from your Roon account, we’ve identified network errors when the Core attempts to reach BBC Radio, Qobuz, and Roon’s own image servers. The network is refusing to connect to all three of those servers, so while the issue may manifest most obviously on BBC Radio, there’s very likely a deeper network issue with rippling connectivity effects.

Forgive the procedural nature of the following questions, but at this point we have to rule everything out that is network-related.

• Do you have a firewall enabled, or any sort of enterprise security settings on your network?

• Have you encountered the dropout on all your Remotes?

• I know you mentioned Netflix streamed to multiple devices successfully. Do you have any network connectivity issues at all outside of Roon? Anything you can think of.

• Can you please specify the router and Eero extender model numbers? How close are the two Eero devices relying on a wireless connection?

@connor
Hello, and thank you.

• no firewall (apart from the one inside Windows); no other security that I know of;
  • I have only one endpoint but I do use four different remotes (a laptop, an HTPC, my phone and a desktop PC - all Windows machines). The issue affects all of them, AFAIK.
  • I have very few network issues, especially since I got the Eero mesh system. My Amazon Echo devices do glitch from time to time (usually when listening to BBC radio, as it happens) - but nowhere near as frequently as with Roon;
  • my router is supplied by my ISP (TalkTalk). I don’t know the manufacturer. Next week we’re being connected to FTTP broadband with a new supplier (British Telecom). Perhaps that will make a difference. The Eero model number is J010011. It’s the previous generation. The first wireless connection is less than 25 feet from the base station and the second one is about 35 feet away, through clear air and line of sight (it’s in my garden listening room). I get the same download speed in the garden as I do when sitting right next to the base (wired) Eero. It’s very solid.

I do appreciate this, Connor!

Hi @Margaret_Charlton,

Thank you for these details and I hope you had a lovely weekend with relatively few interruptions to playback.

To continue with troubleshooting, it would help out the team to know the following:

• Have you tested playing internet radio through Roon without the HiFiBerry? What happens if you try playing BBC Radio through Roon for a while listening through your Remote system output (phone speakers, tablet speakers, computer speakers)?
  • Which device were you using Chrome on? Were you also using the HiFiBerry when you tested the BBC Radio stream in Chrome?
  • Was this the same Remote device as above?

We’re hoping to remove variables one at a time. By trying without the HiFiBerry device at all, we can see if there is something with that endpoint causing playback interruptions.

Thank you again for your patience and for continuing to work with us. Let me know if I can clarify any of my questions.

Hi @Margaret_Charlton,

As you might have seen, we released a new Roon build this week (Build 952). I’m curious if upgrading to the latest build across your devices has changed the dropout behavior you were experiencing at all. Let us know at your convenience once you’ve had a chance to try it out.

Hello Connor! Yes, I have noticed an improvement, although the problem persists. I have just started the stream (8pm, London) and I’ll see how long it continues.

Thank you once again.

5 posts were split to a new topic: BBC 3 Radio Playback Interruptions

@connor

Hi Connor. I’m on holiday this week but before I left I started the R3 stream on my Rock and it ran for 36 hours without a hitch. I find that very interesting! It had never occurred to me before to try that, because the Rock’s audio output has never been used.

Hi @Margaret_Charlton,

Thank you for the update. In that case, it sounds like there’s something unusual with playback to the HiFiBerry from Roon. That’s good news, since we’ve likely eliminated a few variables which were at play.

At this point, it might be helpful to reset RAATServer to see if that stabilizes playback to the HiFiBerry. Please give the following steps a try and let us know the result:

• Create a Backup of your current Roon database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

I know this has been an arduous and drawn out process over many weeks at this point, so we’re grateful for you continuing to work through troubleshooting steps. We should have your system in fully reliably condition shortly once we try a few more things.

Hi @connor
I’m away from home until Saturday but I’ll try that on my return.
Thank you,
Margaret.
FYI I’m now using a MiniDSP SHD as my endpoint, not the hi-fiBerry.

1 Like

Hi @Tim_Clegg, Thank you for the heads up. We’ll investigate the logs from that timestamp.

Hi @Tim_Clegg,

I appreciate you passing the timestamps. We’re still investigating this issue but should have next steps shortly. Please stay tuned and I will follow up here.

@Margaret_Charlton, once you’ve run the RAATServer reset at your convenience (please see above post for instructions), please do pass along the results. Generating a new RAATServer instance should reset the connection to the HiFiBerry and your other endpoints, which we’re hoping will illuminate whether the issue is network-related or device-related.

Hi @connor
Apologies for not replying sooner. My R3 stream has been stable since following your advice about the RAAT server. That’s more than a week, now. Many thanks. I’ll let you know if it starts misbehaving again.

Regards, M.

1 Like

Fantastic news @Margaret_Charlton! Thrilled to hear its back online. Please open a new topic if you continue to experience issues, as this one will automatically close.

@Tim_Clegg, I will separate our ongoing troubleshooting into a new dedicated thread for follow-up. We’ll continue there.

This topic was automatically closed after 16 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.