BBC Radio 3 issues

Mine is all wired, I can stream Tidal to the same speakers and its fine, using Sonos is fine, other radio stations seem fine its just the BBC ones that seem mainly affected.

@Joel @kevin Mine currently is not chopping off, but stops playing after 30-40 mins even though I have no timer set and my Mac is set for the hard drive not to sleep.

@kevin
I suspect that the pbs are caused by AAC streams and not MP3 streams. BBC decided to go for “HLS” technology for AAC stream, which is not rare but uncommon. Audio players should of course support this but maybe Roon has become more sensitive to it recently…
@Margaret_Charlton do you have dropouts if you select a BBC MP3 stream to play?

I get dropouts no matter which BBC stream is selected, however if I try radio Paradise as @Margaret_Charlton suggested then its fine, this seems to be a flac stream.

Not sure if Roon have a requirement or ability to convert to flac to obtain good streaming.

1 Like

It happens on all streams, as Phil says. Nothing to do with it. The problem is with Roon and Roon alone.

My 6 Music played this morning without random interruptions but stopped playing after a period which I guess is due to this thread.

Can you try this relay stream "MP3 129kbps"I have just added and check if there are still dropouts?
Sorry I am not in the UK so can’t relay AAC 320kbps as it’s geofenced.

Testing now

Hi Alec

That’s been streaming fine for me, can that be replicated for BBC 6 Music that I can test during the week?

I’ve just reactivated the 129kbps ‘relayed’ stream for BBC 6 Music.

Very frustrating for you.
I’m based in Surrey and the BBC Radio 3 320 feed is absolutely fine. It’s been solid for months and recently has shown the meta-data.
I have a basic Virgin Media router connected to several passive routers across the property. At every Roon endpoint, Radio 3 works perfectly.
I can only think it is a networking issue - either to your property or within it.
Annoying, but I’m not sure it’s a Roon ONLY issue.

I’m wondering whether it could be something to do with other devices or software application in use in the affected home networks. I wonder whether it would be worth giving the details of what’s there. There must be some common factor here that’s at the root of this issue…

Hi Tim - we had the OpenReach engineer here today and he did find a lot of interference on the line. After replacing various things he declared himself happy. I’ve now had Radio 3 running all day without a hitch. But, if it was the line quality, why has Qobuz, even at 192/24, never caused the same issue? Radio 3’s bitrate is massively lower. And why doesn’t BBC Sounds, on Windows or Android, ever randomly stop? It’s mystifying - and my limited powers of deduction still conclude it must, somehow, be Roon-specific.

@Geoff_Coupe The only common issue I can see on my home network is how Roon stream the BBC live radio.
All BBC stations in this format can cut off. If using multiple speakers they may not cut off at the same time.
Switch to say radio paradise and its fine.
Switch to tidal streaming and its fine.
Switch to using Sonos and its fine.

So the only problem child is Roon and it looks like they need to investigate how they transport these formats over the network.
As as indicated on the other thread if radio cuts off Roon has no method to make a reconnection.
Although I understand people have network issues but Roon should not require people to investigate network issues to the nth degree especially as others services and products in the same local network work without issues.

The point is that it only seems to be happening to a small group. The majority of us are playing BBC stations with live radio without any issue - so what’s going on? More data is needed if Roon Labs has a chance to diagnose this. For example, look at the Tidal streaming issue, and this post:

Possibly - maybe the way it buffers the data? Who knows :joy:
I hope it keeps working for you - I could NEVER be without Radio 3!

I think i’ve given Roon 4 or 5 sets of logs, The two new streams seem to be working for me, but I don’t know technically whats different. It also does not seem to matter if i’m using wi-fi or ethernet, i also use two mesh discs, but both are ethernet connected so the only wi-fi is speaker to disc ethernet backhaul to the router, I stream lots of TV from various sources and just don’t have any issues, this does not seem something I can resolve.

Which streams are those, Phil? As I said above, the 320 AAC has been solid me for me today but I have zero clue if that’s because of the engineer visit or because the devs have done something - or sheer coincidence. I’ll set the 320 stream running when I go to bed and see if it’s there in the morning. I’ve had this issue ever since I came to Roon, even when everything was cabled.

Alec set two up which are above, they both seem to be working fine for me with many hours playing, I only tend to use 6 music and will try these as default.

@alec_eiffel Could you also add BBC Radio 2 for testing?

Many Thanks