Beethoven's 9th?

Content you’re reporting an issue with

System is : Roon core on Nucleus > Audio GD R8 MK2 (DAC) by usb > Emotiva RMC-1L by XLR.
Content is multiple recordings of Beethoven’s 9th symphony.

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

No

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Files are on an external ss usb storage connected to one of the Nucleus’s usb

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

I have multiple versions of Beethoven’s 9th. None show up under ‘artist’- Beethoven. When I search ‘Beethoven 9th’ only one comes up.
There are similar problems with Mozart.
What’s going on?

The new search is dramatically better albeit still imperfect.

But I do think it tries to accommodate classical music better, which translates into “composer” and “composition” being the more relevant attributes to search under.

I try to get the “composition” right - in this case if you type “Beethoven 9” you do get Beethoven as “composer” and the composition itself, again albeit not in the order you would expect:

Now if you type “Beethoven Symphony 9” you get directly the right composition:

Hope this helps

Guess I didn’t explain my problem well.
When I go to composer > Beethoven many of his albums do not show up including the 4-5 versions of the 9th by various symphonies/conductors and also no 5th, 6th, etc.
Pretty sure he composed Beethovens 5th symphony, but it doesn’t show up. ??
Do I need to edit each of the many missing albums with Beethoven as ‘composer’ to have them show up?
One reason I have Roon is to do this type of categorizing automatically. Pretty sure Roon did this before the recent updates. Is this broken and will it be fixed?
What am I missing?

Are the missing albums showing as “unidentified”?

(use the Album Browser Focus > Identified, then click on the “Identified” criterion to turn it red and negate it; i.e. focus on “Unidentified” albums)

How is Beethoven stored in your file tags , ARTIST = Beethoven will cause chaos as Roon recognises Composer.

It is common for ALBUMARTIST to be say Karajan with ARTIST = Beethoven . Roon will behave better if you have a COMPOSER tag = Beethoven

If your Albums are not identified then Roon will not have corrected this metadata

Another possibility is that you have the “Only complete recordings” option selected. This doesn’t work reliably and can sometimes result in complete recordings not being shown when it is set.

??? Where is the Album Browser Focus > Identified ???
The albums showed up before. I have NOT changed any of my tags. Roon cataloged the albums, not me. It was fine before, it’s not fine now. This is due to your firmware. Roon needs to identify Beethoven’s 9th, and all my other classical albums not cataloged correctly. Period.
Please fix this.
Thomas Giloy

Where it’s always been…

And, a) I am not a member of Roon’s Support team, and b) if they are to “fix” this, they will probably need a little bit more information from you - for example, when did you notice it changed?

Found it. Some of us are just end users and don’t know how to deep dive into the program. We just expect it to work as advertised.
There are 100+ ‘unidentified’ albums. Many are albums that should be ‘identified’ easily and should not be unidentified.

a- if you are not on the support team how do I get in touch with them to get this fixed.
b- I noticed it changed a few days ago after the last ‘upgrade’.

Is there a way to force a rescan of my library to see if it will work correctly.

to re-scan you can either:
1 use settings - storage, select the 3 dots next to your storage and select “Force rescan”
This is a quick scan, principally aimed at identifying new files
2 use Albums - select album(s),
Click on the 3 dots, select Edit,
On the first tab under “Your files”, select “Rescan albums”
This is a slower and more thorough scan, intending to re-scan the metadata itself.

As am I. However, the Knowledge Base is quite helpful.

You have posted in the Metadata Issues section of the forum - as the Explanatory first post says:

Every post in the Metadata Support category is reviewed by our staff, so you don’t need to flag anyone down.

However, it would help the Support staff if you gave more information to help diagnosis, as outlined in that post:

Since you’ve now added the information that there are now 100+ albums that have become Unidentified apparently since the last upgrade of Roon, this is not, I would suggest, a simple Metadata issue. So I’ve moved your posts in the the main Support category of the forum.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup and the nature of the issue using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they have a clear understanding of how your devices are connected.

Closed this thread because this issue is raised in a new Support request.