Begininng of Song Cut Off

2018 Mac Mini i5, 8GB Ram, 10.15.7,

Last version of Apple Time Capsule with ethernet cable to Mac Mini.

USB connection from Mac Mini to McIntosh MA5300 (with internal DAC)

I had a question. I’ve been using Roon for a little over a year now. Great product, no complaints. Frequently when listening, the first half a second or so of the song would be cut off. It was kind of a nuisance, but it really wasn’t such a big deal to me. I’ve seen other people post that this was a problem with the McIntosh DAC-1. I tried a few adjustments to Roon, but didn’t get any results, it didn’t bother me enough to dig deeper. Recently Roon put out an update, and so did Apple. I now notice that this lag at the beginning of the song occurs much less frequently. What I’m wondering, did the last Roon update do anything to fix it?

Hi @Andy211,

There was no change on our end recently specifically to address this, but I’m glad to hear it’s better for you now! Do you see this when playing to anything besides the McIntosh?

Hi Dylan, I only use the McIntosh, occassionally my daughter streams Roon through her iphone. That’s a good question, I’ll have to ask her to see if that happens when she uses Roon.

Definitely let us know, @Andy211! If you’re able to even just briefly test with another endpoint that would be great — It’s very helpful to know if we need to focus in on the McIntosh or if this is a general Roon problem.

I have the same problem when using my Metrum Pavane with the MQA module. Finally gave up and removed the MQA module and the issue resolved.

Hi Dylan, I was able to compare between the iPhone and the McIntosh. The iPhone didn’t have any problem playing the songs, there wasn’t any lag. When I played the same songs through the McIntosh there were more instances of lag, not everytime, but often enough. I played flac files, some were 96khz and above and some were just regular 44khz. It didn’t really matter. Funny, I have a few DSD files so I tried them, no problem at all for either the iPhone or the Mcintosh, however I don’t believe I"m able to play these natively, I think Roon converts them for me some how. Please let me know if you want me to try anything else and I’ll do my best to follow through.

Hello @Andy211, could you please reproduce the issue one more time and reply here with a timestamp (your local time) and the track name you were playing? I’d like to enable diagnostics for your account and take a look, thanks!

Hello Nuwriy,

I just tried (@3:32 PM EST.) Crushing Day by Joe Satriani from Surfing with the Alien. The first half second or so was cut off. Thank you for checking this out! -Andy

Hey @Andy211,

I have enabled diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Thank you Nuwriy!

Hey @Andy211, I enabled diagnostics but it looks like the report hasn’t come in yet. Could you reboot the mac mini and open Roon so the report can upload? Thanks!

OK, I just rebooted and Roon is open.

Hello @Andy211, looks like the report came in! I’ll pass it to the QA team now.

Hello again. This is kind of odd. I’ve noticed that in the past few weeks, Roon has resorted to more consistently cutting off the beginning of the song. For a while it was going pretty good. But, it’s definitely much more consistently chopping off the first half second of each song. It’s acting the way it was before I started this thread. Thanks.

Hello @Andy211,

If you play some of the content experiencing this issue to your endpoints outside of Roon do you see the same behavior? Inside of Roon, does changing resync delay help?

I’m sorry Nuwriy, I don’t understand what you mean by playing content to outside of my Roon endpoints. I have played it through my iPhone, and there is no delay. When I play it through the DAC in my McIntosh, I usually experience a delay. I looked for resync delay, where might I find that?

Hello @Andy211, my apologies for the confusion here. I mean play the same tracks using something other than Roon to the same endpoints that you’re having the issue with. To get to the resync delay option, go to Settings>Audio>Device setup (click the gear by the desired endpoint) and apply a few different options to see if that helps.

1 Like

OK, got it, thanks for clarifying for me. I will give both a try. Playing the audio back through something other than Roon might be tricky for me, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out. I’ll let you know how it works out. Thanks again.

I have the same issue. Nucleus is connected via USB to McIntosh C47 preamp. Every song is cut off by a second or so. Annoying. I tried the delay but that provides a space but still clips the first seconds. Did you ever find a solution?

I haven’t been able to find a fix. I know I’ve read about this as a problem somewhere before. I’m sorry you’re having this problem, but I appreciate your weighing in a providing validation.