Best HW configuration to use Roon and HQPlayer

Thank you @andybob, very interesting setup for HQP.
Very good news too if DSD512 upsampling support is coming “very soon”.

I’m currently playing native DSD512 from HQP through an mR. Just set SDM Pack in HQP to none and send SDM Output to the mR NAA. There is an issue with a loud full spectrum “pop” upon commencement of playback. I mute the preamp before first play and then use Add Next and Add to Queue play options in Roon which (generally) avoids the pop.

I believe the pop is due to a bug in the ALSA native DSD code which sent “PCM silence” to the DAC upon first starting play (ironically to avoid other noise artifacts) instead of “DSD silence”. The bug was fixed in Linux Kernel 4.10 and I understand Sonore are working to implement the fix in the mR.

1 Like

Yes, but it depends from DAC FW.

• HOLO Spring: OK ?
  • T+A DAC8 DSD: KO but things seems to move on that front … some hope

I hope updated kernel / FW will soon fix few LINUX DSD driver issues, and we could enjoy SQ enhancements with every DSD512 enabled DAC models, feed from LINUX endpoints like mR, sms-200, RPI …

1 Like

That’s no way to live. We have toilet paper and sliced bread – and this? Come back to the PCM fold now! :wink:

2 Likes

Once you’ve gone DSD…:wink:

1 Like

that’s a huge device you’re building :wink: congrats

1 Like

I thought that was LSD?[quote=“Henry_McLeod, post:25, topic:22572”]
Once you’ve gone DSD
[/quote]

.sjb

1 Like

Someone had to be first. To bravely go out there and take a bite of that toast for the rest of us or to … never mind. Anyway, not all heroes wear capes.

Not to say I won’t be pleased when the pop is fixed …

1 Like

Well, at least you can revel in the fact it’s probably the best quality most upsampled pop anyone’s ever heard. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there,
I am new to HQP and Roon. I’d like to confirm that, do I need to buy the Roon membership in order to run HQP+Roon?
Thanks

Yes, you need a Roon license of some description.

It’s technically Roon+HQPlayer :slight_smile:

Thanks Steve,

So, if I just want to play music stored in my NAS using Roon as frontend. I need a Roon license for Roon Core in addition to the HQP license. Is there a “lite” version or is there any channel that I can purchase the Roon license cheaper?

1 Like

If you don’t want to buy a Roon license you could use HQPlayer as a front end :wink:

The Roon website is the only place you can buy it as far as I know, unless you’re getting a timed free membership as part of a hardware purchase - there were some deals around but I don’t recall what hardware. I think the only ‘light’ version that exists came with the Elac discovery.

I am getting a bit overwhelmed with the above specs and mentions of CUDA. I had to Google that. Here is the deal. It sounds like:

1. The Simple Solution: is to run Roon Server and HQPlayer Desktop on a NUC10i7 with overclocking enabled, 32 GB RAM and a 250 GB M.2 SSD in an Akasa Turing fanless case with a linear power supply with high quality Ethernet cable into my audiophile switch. My LUMIN U1 Mini is also Ethernet connected to the same switch. OR

2. The Best SQ, lowest EMI Solution: is to use the above NUC to run ROCK and make a dusplicate unit but with Ubuntu Linux and install HQPlayer desktop on that, and Ethernet that to the same audiophile switch.

Did I understand that correctly or does anyone have edits to the above or other suggestion? Please keep in mind that what ever put together I want it to be fanless so it can be kept in the listening room. Thanks!

What upsampling are you planning on doing. That matters. Different modulators require different processing power.

Playing high bit rate ie 24/96 or 24/192 Qobuz files via Roon. No NAS here. Only streaming via Roon. I also have upsampling DACs such as the Terminator Plus. Thanks.

I mean, what are you thinking about using HQPlayer to upsample to? Example, the incoming 24/96 stream from Qobuz, are you planning on going to DSD128, PCM 768? Higher?

I assume you are going to run the Terminator Plus in NOS mode.

Yes. DSD128.
Yes. DAC in NOS mode.
Thanks.

Can I use HQ Player with my Nucleus? It’s the original version, and not the +.

The Nucleus is connected to a little Pro-Ject USB DAC which handles DSD256 via DoP. Currently I just upsample all files to DSD256 which seems to sound very good. In the next few days I’ll be receiving a Marantz SA8005 SACD player with USB input which I think will handle up to DSD128 DoP.

You need another machine to run HQP on as RoonOS is Locked down.

HQP will not support connecting to the USB on your Nucleus so you will need something like a Raspberry Pi to run the free Raspberry Pi runtime that give you the right endpoint to send the output to. That or an NAA compliant streamer like the Zen Stream which works perfectly as a Roon/HQP endpoint but struggle’s with other protocols.

It can be a complicated topic, so I hope I have not muddied the water even more for you.

1 Like