Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

I can highly recommend the HD PLEX 300W LPSU.
https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-300w-linear-power-supply-for-pc-audio-and-ce-device.html

2 Likes

Serhan,

Iā€™m glad you like it. Iā€™m so impressed with itā€™s versatility and reliability! The SQ improvement is, of course a welcome benefit!

1 Like

I posted in the main forum before finding thisā€¦so I figured Iā€™d ask the question again. Can anyone confirm if the NEW model Nucleus (the one Roon advertises currently) is a 60 watt unit or a 90 watt unit? My dealer insists that it uses up to 90 watts, whereas previous Nucleus models used 60 watts. This would affect which LPS I would purchase. Iā€™m considering the Keces P8 dual unit, but that would only be 4 amps or 80 watts. I would have to purchase the single zone P8 which provides more wattageā€¦but doesnā€™t have the second zone.

The power use will much depend on if you also have an additional SSD internally mounted or also USB drives or a USB powered DAC attached to the NUC/Nucleus(+). All these adding add up to more DC power needed to supply them.

For sure the HDPlex offerings of the 200W/300W units allow for 10A at 19V / 12V which is well more than would be needed. Iā€™m running a Lumin D1 and an EtherREGEN plus and i7-7700 with a 16TB HDD on one HDPlex 200W + a 12V cooling fan running at 7.5V for some air movement in the area. Itā€™s been working fine for several years now.

4 Likes

I second the comments of the Wizard aboveā€¦ā€¦plus multiple outputs where two of them are adjustable!

2 Likes

Re HDPlex 200
+1
Two years trouble free.

2 Likes

The Uptone JS-2 LPS has just what you suggest. Iā€™ve been using one supporting both a Nucleus and EtherREGEN for about 6 months. Perfect.

2 Likes

The Keces P8 dual power unit will work fine. I run my 90 watt NUC8i7BEH and my network switch off of mine. You will never need 90 watts. My NUC pulls 3.0 amps for a split second during startup. The rest of the time it runs at 0.4-0.7 amps depending on if I am upsampling or importing files.

2 Likes

Has anybody compared the SGC 12v Linear Power Supply VS iPower Elite by iFi Audio on Nucleus? They are similar in price just curious if much of a difference in performance.

Thanks

2 Likes

The Nucleus should be run on a 19V power supply rated at 65W. I think this rules out the iFi power supplies.

4 Likes

Thanks Gerald for the response. I ended up getting Sbooster 19V.

Just ordered a TeddyPardo NUC power supply - Ā£400 including shipping and import taxes to the UK

Good morning.

I got the Farad super3 19V with the Level 2 cable and Synergistic Research orange fuse to power my Nucleus and it sounds fantastic in all aspects already.
I use the USB to connect to my DAC and so on. All music stored on internal 2TB SSD.
This is the way to go for Hi-End use and natural, spacious music sound and dead black background.
I also upgraded the RAM to 2x8GB, instead of the standard 4GB. Fast, super fast access to everything.

1 Like

? What happens to the sound if you use an ordinary fuse?

1 Like

There will still be sound but no comparison to the Synergistic orange fuse.

You get more of it because you can spend $150 on music and $0.99c on a (quite possibly more to spec) standard fuse. Itā€™s not even a case of quantity over quality, itā€™ll sound the same. The FAQā€™s amusing:

Frequently asked questions.
Q: Are fuses directional?
A: Yes, fuses are directional. Electricity should flow from the left to the right when you view the fuse. If you do not know the direction of flow you should listen to the fuse inserted in both directions. One direction will sound more detailed. This is the correct way.

Q: Do fuses have a burn-in period?
A: Yes, most products have a settling in period. The first 200-300 hours of use are the most crucial.

Money for no rope whatsoeverā€¦

The measurements over at Audio Science indicate a linear power supply is quite helpful connected to a music server like the Nucleus or zen Mini.
Linear power supplies connected to dacs have no improvement to the measurements .

Do they? Do you have a link to that information please?