Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

In general I’d like to avoid s**t quality SMPS’ connected to my setup or anywhere near it.

Nowadays I have my NAS in another room so it’s totaly irrelevant what PSU it uses but I used to have it in my equipment rack and that’s why I originally updated the stock SMPS to a medical grade one.

1 Like

Just read a review on 6 Moons (link here) about linear power supplies produced in China by Jay’s Audio under the LHY brand. One may specify the LPS80VA specifically for a Roon Nucleus/Roon Rock for USD398 (link here). Srajan at 6 Moons seems to think they’re a great deal. I’m not saying an LPS will help improve your Roon experience; I’m just providing info!

I have several of the Jays/LHY units 5V & 12V and they are very stable (all 25VA) used for RPi’s some TCA HPA amp/E30 setup and a few other things.

I has a couple installed in a friends professional recording studio too (Custom 15V IIRC) for a sythesiser powersupply. No complaints.

For my NUC’s and some other things I use either HDPlex 200W LMPS or Plixir 12V that work well with some Lumin D1/D2 when needed too.

2 Likes

Hi Dave , I just purchased a Nucleus+ and HDPlec power supply . I plugged the Nucleus into the 19v. connection and the Nucleus immediately turns off . It works fine with the original power supply . I am fairly dumb on this stuff so can you tell me what I’m doing wrong and how you got it to work ? Thanks .

No idea. That’s how mine is set up. So what do you mean by it immediately turns off? How does it behave when you first turn it on? If you plug in a monitor does it display any boot up information? It might be a defective HDPlex. Do you have a volt meter or some way to check that it’s actually putting out 19V?

I suggest reading this:

The World’s Best Audiophile Linear Power Supplies

I use a Keces P8 to power my Nucleus+. I am a believer. The proof is in the listening.

2 Likes

Just got one of these will maybe try it on my NUC or Nucleus, but using it now on my Lumin D1

1 Like

I’ve been quite pleased with my Teddy Pardos. Well made, fair price, fast shipping & excellent customer service!

3 Likes

I’d love to see that claim tested over at Audio Science!

I’d love to see room response measurements of the LPS proponents’ systems …
:see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

2 Likes

While I don’t believe a word of this LPS nonsense, not all important aspects of audio reproduction show up in room frequency response. Just saying. This kind of flippant incorrect stuff just provides ammunition to the “don’t trust measurements” crowd

1 Like

The post meant to emphasize, that the measurable anomalies caused by speakers in rooms absolutely outweigh any touted noise reduction or any other improvements by orders of magnitude.

True, that’s why i wrote “room response”, which includes frequency as well as time domain information.

I’d recommend to read about state of the art research regarding loudspeakers and rooms for example.
It nicely outlines that all important aspects of audio reproduction can be measured.

:ninja:

1 Like

I know that room response is king. But if, say, your DAC has nasty pre-ringing or your amp has slow transients, you won’t see that in either room frequency nor impulse response.

All important aspects of audio reproduction can be measured, but not if you measure the wrong thing and be casual about it.

Hence, the fact that you don’t see an LPS effect in the room response does not allow the logical conclusion that an LPS has no effect.

The issue with the LPS nonsense is elsewhere

1 Like

Good, we’re agreeing about at least one fact.

The problem with your assertion is, that these mentioned deficiencies are usually and measurably below the threshold of audibility.
Remember that auditory perception works according to the logarithmic scale, so the additive nature of these distortions still doesn’t make it into audibility.
In case that these defects cross the audibility threshold, you’re looking at broken or at least badly designed components.

Definitively, when talking about devices handling data transmission - and, badabing badaboom, we’re agreeing about another fact.

:heart_hands:

1 Like

You are missing the point. Those were just examples, I could have said you won’t see your amp badly distorting in the room response either, and I hope you can hear at least that.

Anyway, we have to disagree and leave it there. Not all gear sounds the same. E.g. pre-ringing never occurs in nature and really messes up the impression of natural sound - DAC designers try hard to avoid it for a reason. Transients particularly in acoustic instruments are, beside harmonics, a large part of why an a’ on a violin sounds different from an a’ on a piano, and of course it’s important that gear reproduces them as well as possible.

That doesn’t mean that these things are necessarily more important than room response, but they all play a role. Obviously, don’t spend a fortune on DACs and amps in a messed-up room.

In any case, an LPS on a networked computer does nothing for room response nor anything else of importance, I just think we owe it to ourselves to make good objections if we choose to waste our time at all

1 Like

:man_judge:

2 Likes

Anyone tried this?

Stack Audio Nucleus LPS

2 Likes

I had the same experience. As my Nucleus + sits remotely on the network I thought I was probably wasting my money with the addition of The Hypsos. No not at all , very happy and a little surprised.

2 Likes

I
Using sotm power supply
Mike

1 Like

I know! You just don’t expect it and nor can it be logically explained but it is no less a real thing for all that!

1 Like