Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

2 Likes

Just trying to be foolish doesn’t support your point of view … or doesn’t provide any value at all to this.

2 Likes

Hi Markus,
As promised, please find my reply and findings for the Farad Super 10.
Started with the standard PSU, then tried the Keces P8 but the Farad Super 3 outperformed both for sure. This version had the level 2 AC cable of Farad, the Level 2 copper DC cable, Furutech intake connection upgrade and the SR Orange fuse. Played well for 2 years.

Stepping up to Super 10 for a Nucleus Plus is insane, pricewise!
The step up is also insane, if your system is able to let you hear the differences you will find yourself in complete silence/black background. Details and lows are stunning and after just a couple of minutes and tracks, you can’t go back. I have tried it a couple of times to go back to the Super 3 as I couldn’t believe it myself.

One remark need to be mentioned.
When playing the first notes almost all was excellent, besides the highs. It was too bright to my ears or sharp, whatever you want to name it. I replied this to Mattijs of Farad and he asked me to give it some time as the cables and SR purple fuse need some burn in as well. The PSU has had some burn in time already at Farad. OK, fair enough.
Now it plays for almost 2-1/2 weeks and smooth as silk :+1:

The Farad Super 3 will be modified by Farad to a 12V version for my Melco S100 where an SBooster is located now.

Hope this is what you were looking for Markus.

Best Regards,
Jeff

3 Likes

Thank you @Jeff_S for the update - exciting to hear!

1 Like

TBH - foolishness did not start with me. And it will remain on your side of the fence until you start generating evidence by DBT results.

If someone here claiming boldly to sense a SQ improvement and is able to sustain this perception in a blind test scenario we are good. Until then it’s self delusion.

3 Likes

@Jeff_S - What do you hope to gain by connecting a switch to an LPS?

Torben

A different discussion for a different thread?

1 Like

Sorry - Your right :slight_smile:

But I don’t see any need for a new thread. AND I would be “killed” publicly if I would start one :slight_smile:

Torben

1 Like

Too true. They smell blood in the water!

1 Like

Well Torben, I think you already know the answer to your question :wink:

Thing is in general: unfortunately ROON community no longer seems to be a place for an open minded exchange among people interested in certain topics. They have to face like trying to make a fool of them etc. And every single thread gets flooded by omniscient observers. They very much ignore that there is not a single wording in topics saying something like „measurements to prove XY“ - this is just an exchange among users interested in a certain topic.

Imagine someone starting a „recommended Bordeaux wines“ thread in a wine forum and as soon as exchange starts a group of users comes along hijacking the thread by claiming that is nonsense and that wines all very much the same - and there isn’t any measurement at all to differentiate Bordeaux from others.

1 Like

Hmmm, interesting point.

Perhaps this is the Spotify of wine?

But, of course, measurement comes to all things!

2 Likes

Well of course there are suitable areas like fraud detection. And definitely R&D will advance further.
Though there isn‘t any measurement technology which will provide a ranking of the top 10 tasting wines etc.

1 Like

Well, that’s unlikely as such a list would surely be personal unless there’s a definitive take on “taste”?

1 Like

When we build wine reproduction machines, I’m sure we’ll have some measurements to evaluate their performance.

1 Like

As in reconstitution of dried vintages?

Exactly! That’s how things are with power supplies for example - different tastes will lead to different results. And every single setup is different anyway too.

1 Like

Wine, Drink, Clothes, Fashion are all acquired tastes. So who would blame you if you enjoy exotic food, and drinks as shown on Andrew Zimmern’s food shows, and exotic clothes as worn by Elvis Presley, and some strange invisible noises on your HIFI system?

I’m not sure I follow the “exactly” there. The issue of taste is an interesting one, people seem to put a lot of stock in reviews yet without objective measurements you’re simply proxying someone else’s taste for yours. There are other aspects of subjective taste that are interesting. Someone posted this on another thread the other day, it makes interesting listening:

1 Like

Hello Torben_Rick,
I just waited some to answer your question as I saw the responses of others and want to thank Markus.

Believing or simply testing yourself and if there is a difference, good or bad, there you go…

Your question needs a little more explanation where I am coming from.
I used the Silent Angel Bonn N8 switch with the standard PSU and tested it afterwards with the dedicated Silent Angel Forester F1 PSU.
Testing is not buying but I could hear the difference in my system clearly in a positive way, so bought it.
Then I tested the Melco S100 switch and unfortunately it outperformed the combo of the Silent Angels. Even with the standard PSU :scream:
We are talking about a switch…. How is it possible a switch can make such a difference? Ridiculous in the opinion of many non believers.
Same goes for the next step, a better, more stable and cleaner PSU.
I replaced the standard PSU for the Melco S100 by an SBooster and again the results were very positive. Even that positive, in comparison to the new Melco S10 switch with it’s upgraded PSU at a total cost of € 6000 and it didn’t do it’s magic here. Even with a very expensive Crystal Connect power cord and afterwards even a HRS block on top. The standard S100 with an SBooster worked out better in my system.

So, the idea of spending more money would make believe us in a better result is not valid here. I have no problem in spending money if I can improve the results of my set. See my set-up.

OK, what do I expect of changing the SBooster by the Farad Super 3?
I did in the past some tests with both of them and for me, the Farad Super 3 gives me better results in resolution, background and as a result also the lows. By changing the Super 3 for the Nucleus Plus by the Super 10, I still have the Super 3 and this unit can be modified by Farad from 19V to 12V. So this will be done.

It’s not what I want to direct others to do but my findings and if it sounds reasonable to you. Please try it yourself if your system is able to show and let you here those differences.

Have fun and enjoy the music.

Jeff

3 Likes