Best PI DAC? Looking at sound quality

I appreciate this is very subjective, what is the best PI DAC?

Im currently using a Allo digi+, feeding into my coax input of my Onkyo tx8150…i fully understand that im now using my buikt in DAC…

It sounds ok, but very flat, and underwhelming.

I have previously used the Allo boss, original… this was good, and wish i still had this… also the IQ audio.

I welcome opinion, as im in the market, so to speak.

Thanks for an awesome community on here btw

2 Likes

There are a lot!
One I’m gonna try is this one: Orchard Pecan Pi It’s a streamer and DAC in one, but also available as a only dac version. The maker Orchard_Audio is also on this forum.

3 Likes

Hi,

DDDAC, https://audio-creative.nl/projecten/dddac-1794-nos-diy-dac-deel-1/ , 1794 with Kali reclocker and i2s link to raspberry and Moode audio. Some attention to the power supplies and you have a great sounding set.

1 Like

You know anyone who has this?

I’m looking for a better sounding DAC myself .

What have u heard about this?

I use this combination. Sounds better than my Antilope dac.

No, but I think for the price the streamer/dac can’t be wrong. You can read about it here on Roon in this topic.

1 Like

Here is a review that just got published:

1 Like

Thx

I just ordered 1

1 Like

Not impressed with the sponsered answer :neutral_face:,

I went with the Khadas Tone Board, fed by the output of my Allo Digi plus… Both fed from a big Anker USB battery.

The Khadas definitely lives up to all the hype… Unbelievable detail, and clearly defined bottom end…

I am not sure what you mean by sponsored answer, my policy is that I do not pay for or give away equipment for reviews.

A manufacturer answering my question :wink:

1 Like

Well then I’ll answer. I don’t have the PecanPi DAC. But I do have Orchard Audio’s previous ApplePi DAC and I’ll stand by his product.

Also of note …

• I own the Allo Boss and I agree it gives excellent results. But my subjective opinion is the ApplePi out performs it in detail and musicality.
  • I do not own an Allo Katana but I plan to purchase one eventually and it is #1 on my list for ‘next DAC’.
  • there are many more candidates on my radar for #2 and after. But I bet you know about them too. Plus as I don’t have personal experience yet, naming them wouldn’t be worth anything.

The website audiosciencereview.com has tested a few RPi DACs. And I know that the backlog of DACs the site owner plans to eventually test is quite long. So I keep going back to the site to check if any have been added.

Edit: as the Tone Board is a big deal there, you probably already know about the site immediately above. But I’ll keep the info here In case you do not; and for the benefit of others coming along.

1 Like

Let me chime in as well… I had the opportunity to listen to the PecanPi Streamer for about a week… My writeup here: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/pecanpi-raspberry-pi-dac-and-streamer/63919/119

Caveat: I’m not that familiar with DACs for the Raspberry PI, but I am quite familiar with numerous different quality DACs and the DAC HAT in the PecanPi Streamer sounds amazing and specs out top of class.

And @Steve_Mato - thanks for the reference to the ASR index of reviews!

2 Likes

You’re very welcome. It seems the site owner is a bit behind updating it tho. So I often go back in the site hierarchy and navigate to the DAC or Amp sections directly. Often finding some recent additions there, not yet in the master list.

The PecanPi DAC is essentially the ApplePi DAC and Volume-Clocker combined together + a headphone output.

1 Like

Another vote for the Khadas Tone Board. Absolutely fantastic sound and separation. I built a case for it using the DIY Guide over at ASR. Punches above it’s weight for sure and is very close to my $1000 RME ADI-2 DAC.

1 Like

Im looking to laser cut a custom case for mine :wink: stay tuned !

Another great write-up and win for PecanPi:
https://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?64295-Orchard-Audio-s-PecanPi-Review&p=1087525#post1087525

1 Like

I have no stake in Orchard or the PecanPi (don’t own one and no relationship to the company or any employees); however I have to point out that @Orchard_Audio dropped a 3rd party link to their product when someone mentioned them and did nothing to tout their own product. That’s about as laid back a response as you can get from a company. Your lack of being impressed has to do with what? The fact that they responded at all?

3 Likes

Well I went with the Khadas board combined with Allo Boss Digi one. I’m really impressed with the sound of this, so detailed and deep.

For the money, would anyone recommend a better combination with the Khadas board?

Thanks