Best practice for SMB mounts on Yosemite as it relates to Roon

Tried it this afternoon using a MacBook Air which connected immediately wirelessly. Tried it with my MBP by ethernet and after 5 minutes it connected holding a stable connection for about three hours then it fell and won’t reconnect leading to the network share 68 error in Roon. Using my iMac by ethernet or wirelessly I had no success at all.

Yes for a while and then no. I’m hugely frustrated.

Daft question. You are referring to turning off afp in the NAS?

@robtodd - yes I have AFP off in NAS and Windows File Services on and in advanced options SMB3 enabled.

I mount the NAS using the Connect command. If I need an Automount I then in turn set it to mount on login via SMB.

Doesn’t work for me, I have to keep afp turned on. This may be as simple as what I have plugged, by ethernet, into what on my network. Funnily enough over the last day my MBP has started connecting readily using smb in Roon. It’s still flakey via the Finder but even that eventually connects. My iMac however will not connect.

Hi @robtodd – sorry you’re still having some issues here. I’m surprised you’re having issues running SMB3 on that NAS. Have you talked with Synology at all?

Also, can you let me know what versions of OSX you’re running, what kind of router (or other networking hardware) you’re using. Also, what version of Roon do you have installed?

Let me know the answers to the above, and we’ll figure out what’s going on. Thanks, and sorry for all the trouble!

Mike,
I have not talked with Synology.
OSX on my MBP is 10.10.4 (beta)
On the iMac it’s 10.10.3
My router is a Sagemcon F@ST2504n which has an Apple Airport Time Capsule hooked up to it by ethernet. My NAS and MBP are connected to the Airport Time Capsule. The iMac which is in another room is connected to a TP-LINK PA411KIT AV500 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter.
I am running the latest version of Roon version 1.0 (build 29) stable.
The situation as I reply is the iMac after about 5/10 minutes found the NAS through the Finder using smb.
The MBP through the finder is idling away after 15 minutes with no luck. Soon reports host as unreachable.
Yesterday after the same merry dance the MBP could not access the NAS through the Finder but Roon after 5 minutes or so with a host of error messages, 68, password incorrect and unreachable, suddenly picked everything up and was connected, the Finder then of course sidled up and connected instantly. I was able to duplicate this instant connection this morning from a cold start with the NAS and MBP before leaving for work. The iMac whilst slower yesterday eventually did see the NAS via Finder using smb. I ran Roon on the iMac and connected the MBP as a remote with zero problems. I then closed Roon down on the iMac and used the MBP solely. The connection was then rock solid. At the end of the evening the MBP closed down with no problems. The iMac however did not want to let the smb connection to the NAS go and I had to carry out a forced shutdown. I have smb automount for the NAS on the MBP. The machine is currently requesting my password and once entered cycling through and failing to connect. Soon is reporting incorrect user name and password incorrectly.
Frustrated is an understatement.
I will not be surprised if it all magically connects now.

Ten minutes after my message Roon on the MBP connected!!!

:smile:

:joy: :sob:

A day later once again everything was forgotten!
The next day I am up and running. I have done nothing apart from restarts.
One strange thing once a smb connection is established by the MBP is that I cannot power off the MBP until the NAS is off. In some ways it’s the opposite problem.
Roll on iOS and Oppo support.

@brian how far away is this new feature ? not impatient, just curious , thanks in advance

It was released in build 15.

1 Like

Brian, thank you

Has Roon implemented the “force SMB” mount for OSX?

I am using a Drobo 5N for my library, and my Mac Mini (El Capitan) auto mounts it as AFP. I don’t see yet how to force an SMB mount on reboot.

Thanks.

Yes, Roon doesn’t use AFP protocol. I would recommend to try these steps:

1. Unmount your drive in your system
  2. Press CMD+K
  3. In appeared pop-up enter the server address as smb://NAS-NAME
  4. Press Connect button

Great thread guys, thank you! Before I dive into the pain of a synology support session. I have OSX 10.11.6 connecting to a Synology NAS running the latest 5.2 DSM (I’ve also tried on a syn nas running 6.0.2 and got the same thing). I connect successfully from OSX to either nas using smb:// but when I look on the NAS desktop it tells me that the user is connected by CIFS.

I have changed the setting to smb3 on both boxes. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Ok, I’ve done some more reading and some of what I read indicates that smb is effectively cifs but some says that it would be herecy to suggest so.

So, perhaps I should modify my question to, how do I know which version of smb the connection is using?

Thanks for any pointers,
Crom

Just in two days, I realized how Roon sucks.
Guys, we are just simple people who want to listen to quality music. We do not need to be a network guru to operate your system. I just found myself about to ask a question on smb vs afp, then realized that what the hell I am doing here.

I really fed up with Meridian and Roon.

Have you considered whether perhaps if you actually told the forum what your problem was then someone on the forum might be able to help you?

1 Like

@Ali_Ozbora – I agree, this thread is out of control…

The answer is simple. use SMB, don’t use AFP. AFP is obsoleted even by Apple.