Best Qobuz multichannel album for Roon

I am trying to get multichannel Qobuz music playing from Roon through my system using RAAT, not HDMI.
I am making an album a favourite in Qobuz and then choosing to play it in Roon.

So far I only seem to have played 2 channel stereo, can anyone recommend a multichannel album from Qobuz for me to try?

I’ll think, that qobuz streams only in stereo.
You can buy there some albums in multichannel (search with #multichannel), download them (I’ve done this with the complete Sinfonies from Sibelius under Järvi) and put it into your local HDD.

BP,
thanks, I have some SACDs which I can play from an Oppo 105D through my system.

I had read on the internet that the Qobuz app only streams stereo, but that it was possible to play multichannel albums from Qobuz thru Roon by making them favourites in the Qobuz app then selecting the favourites in Roon.

Hopefully someone has achieved this and will reply…

Ah yes, forgotten it:

• Finding multichannel albums in searching in the qobuz app with #multichannel
  • save your findings in favourites
  • in roon you’ll see them in “my qobuz” and play it

By the way: Your Oppo will play as roon endpoint only in stereo. I’m using for this my exaSound e68 multichannel dac and let roon upsample multichannel to DSD256.

BP,
thanks for the extra info.
I just tried the favourite method and then played the disk you show through Roon.
But in my setup although the input shows as coming in in 6 channel, it is playing stereo output.
I must be doing something wrong, but I have yet to find what it is.

I only use my Oppo to play a real disk into another system, it is not connected to my Roon problem.

1 Like

What endpoint are you using? As I understand it, the endpoint used must be able to play multichannel via the network connection.

S94,
I am using a Trinnov Altitude 16 which is quite capable of playing multichannel via the Roon input. After BP’s help I have managed to input a multichannel album via Roon and Qobuz favourites. The Roon signal path shows that the Trinnov is handling it as stereo, the Roon Trinnov device setup is for playing 5.1 if that is input.
I guess there will be a processing change needed to the Trinnov setup for this to work.
I have only acquired it recently and my dealer is helping me get it to work on all inputs as desired.
Thanks for your help.

I took a quick look at the owners manual and it doesn’t indicate whether or not it’s “Roon Ready” abilities include multichannel via the network connection.

Using Oppo as an example, although Oppo players are multichannel, their Roon Ready abilities only allow 2 channel music from Roon via the network connection.

Have you confirmed with Trinnov that it will indeed accept multichannel from Roon via the network connection?

Btw, I understand Trinnov is a beast of a processor! :smiley::+1:

Congratulation, taking a quick look at the Owners manual takes a lot of courage!

In Roon the settings/audio/device setup/advanced options for the Trinnov include 5.1 and 7.1 outputs. I reckon this makes multichannel Roon output viable although I am looking for confirmation and how to accomplish this from my dealer/Trinnov.
In another room is a JBL Synthesis SDR-35, although Roon Ready its Roon settings do not include the multichannel options, so stereo only unless using pseudo surround modes.

The Trinnov is indeed a beast of a processor, but the sound is like having a veil removed from my speakers which were very nice before (ATC SCM11s,C3C & HTS7s).
The only drawback is my wallet is a lot lighter now.

1 Like

When you get a chance, would you post a screenshot of the signal path when playing a multichannel file?

S94,
Here is a screenshot from Roon as requested

I have experimented with the SDR-35 and put an HDMI feed into it from the Nucleus.
It is now playing multichannel very nicely from a Qobuz favourite in Roon.
Here is a screenshot

It certainly looks like Roon is sending a multichannel signal to your Trinnov without doing any downmixing. Hopefully, it’s just a matter of changing a setting in the Trinnov to play multichannel properly. Maybe something in the Optimizer/Remapping settings? Have you received any guidance from your dealer or Trinnov?

S94,
thanks, I am hopeful of getting the relevant dealer/Trinnov guidance/changes next week.
Investigations are scheduled for Tuesday.

Earlier advice has got me to the point where I can now get Roon to send multichannel and I have been listening to some on my JBL linked by HDMI to the nucleus.

1 Like

What I see here, that your Trinnov puts out “Analog/Digital” what perhaps means, that there a downsampling to 2 channels occurs.

I wonder if there is just an Analog (multichannel) output option that wouldn’t downmix?

For example, in my case I have my Roon streamer connected to my Oppo 103 via HDMI and the Oppo is set to Analog (multichannel) output. If I use a Digital output on the Oppo, the multichannel signal from the Roon streamer is downmixed to 2ch.

Thanks for the info! I never knew Qobuz provides multichannel audio. The album you showed plays nice in 6 Channels audio. I connect a Roon endpoint using HDMI to my surround processor for playing my ripped SACD’s and now I know Qobuz also has multichannel audio, I’m going to search for more :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for all your inputs, this is a great forum.

The end result is that my dealer has worked his magic and made my Trinnov input stream work with 5.1 input as well as the previous 2.1, I am a happy chap and can now listen to multichannel Qobuz input via Roon.

If you want to experiment, this is the best album I have found - outputs on all 6 channels

2 Likes

Here’s some to try

1 Like

Glad to hear it’s working now. :grinning::+1:

I do wish Qobuz offered more.

Found them! Thanks!!!

1 Like