Best sound quality on Qobuz

Has anyone found different sound quality with Qobuz between the native app and Roon?
In my case, I have observed that using the latest versions of both applications (Qobuz Desktop version 5.4.0-b009 and Roon 1.7 build 528) and having the PC (Windows 10 Pro last version) connected to the DAC via USB Wasapi in exclusive mode without losses, the native application of Qobuz sounds with more definition and better separation of the instruments.
Any feedback is appreciated.

1 Like

I have had the same observation. I love Roon and currently using a spare iPhone as an endpoint and it does sound a little veiled. But when I play the same iPhone with the Qobuz app there’s a distinct difference. I found the same as you, better definition and separation with the Qobuz native app.

1 Like

Either of you guys using DSP or volume leveling? That could account for the difference.

In my case I use a Devialet 220 Pro with zero treble and bass. That is, direct signal. There is no volume leveling.

I don’t understand why I would need DSP if my other sources sound fine?

I didn’t mean to imply you needed it, simply that if you were using it, it might explain why Qobuz’ native app sounds different from Roon. Since you’re not using DSP, I haven’t a clue. Sorry to intrude.

1 Like

Ah I got you David. Yeah I don’t know what it could be as I’ve followed best practices for SQ for roon and am still beside myself.

Sometimes folks use volume leveling in Roon or in other playback software and when that software path is compared to one that isn’t using volume leveling then that can cause a perceived difference. Just a couple db can do it. Most often the software path with volume leveling is lowering the volume and that lowered volume makes it seem not as good. Other than that I can’t think of any technical reason why there should be a difference in sound quality.

Thanks Douglas. Whats strange is that I get the same perceived SQ difference when on my headphone system going through my laptop. I keep reading the knowledge base and keep tweaking.

As mentioned if roon is reducing the volume but the qobuz app is not then qobuz will sound ‘better’

Thanks Billy, I’ll be ordering a Roon Ready streamer soon and hoping maybe that will help solve the discrepancy in SQ

I have a Roon Nucleus. I did not notice any difference in SQ versus running Roon core on my laptop. I don’t know why there would be. However, the Nucleus certainly runs smoother with no skips or stops.

2 Likes

Possible scenario for difference. Roon core does decoding from Qobuz flac to pcm and sends raw pcm to Roon app. Qobuz app decodes flac to pcm locally on device.

1 Like

Thanks @CrystalGipsy. I think I found the culprit. I have replaced an amazon purchased usb-a to usb-c cable adapter and that seems to have done it!

Glad you got it sorted. What did you replace your USB converter to?

1 Like

An ifi silencer, since it has a USB-C connection and doubles as a noise suppressor to my MacBook Pro. And am ordering a proper Roon Ready streamer for my main system to eliminate that adapter (was planning on purchasing one anyhow).

I am out of town this week, so instead of burning through tons of Verizon Wireless cellular data and hotspot data, I downloaded over 600 albums from Qobuz to my Dell XPS 15 laptop. I have to say, listening with my Dragonfly Cobalt USB DAC and Sony WH1000XM3 headphones sounds as good as anything I’ve listened to.

1 Like