Best tablet remote for Roon- Ipad? Android?

Well, the Surface does.

3 Likes

It should be noted that EVERYTHING limited about “tablets” in general is not true about the Surface/Surface Pro. The Surface is basically a Windows PC in tablet form, and should behave like running Roon for Windows on a good portable machine with touch capabilities.

Same for most Windows Tablets, I would expect. My old Lenovo ThinkPad 10 tablet makes a great Roon remote device…

Does this mean that other tablets will have support for portrait mode in the future?

Hi

I recommend the Galaxy Tab Pro S. Its a 12 inch Windows 10 tablet/PC, can be used as either remote OR core.

I love it, and bet it’s a lot cheaper than the ipad.

I use a Samsung View which is 18 inches and great as it is just a copy of the core on my computer I can Edit etc on the view and it shows 24 albums per page. see if this is still available and get one excellent for easy access and reading

1 Like

Still confused about this answer. Will other tablets support portrait mode in upcoming releases? Is this being worked on or not?

yes, but dont hold your breath

Thanks for that, I am currently considering one of these (my old Lenovo laptop/tablet doesn’t have the graphics for Roon), the display size and resolution look like it would make an excellent choice. There is also the newer Samsung Galaxy Book 12 inch windows tablet. But the price for this model is heading into Microsoft surface book territory. The new Microsoft surface book 2 (due this month) does look like it will be a good, if rather expensive, option with much better battery life than the original when used as a tablet.

I was going to buy a new tablet but decided on an inexpensive laptop (Asus F555L) to use for browsing and Roon control (I seldom need a tablet when outside the home, my phone will do).

yeah, the display on the Tabpro S is gorgeous. Looks so cool in portrait mode with Roon. The new galaxy 12 has a fan too, so watch out. The old Tabpro is really great.

Hi there,

After contemplating for a while between surface pro vs iPad Pro, I took your advise and bought an iPad Pro 12.9 mainly as a Roon interface

It works great and it’s a real pleasure to interact with roon like that, a bit overkill but fun

Just one problem, i didn’t realize before I bought, the that the iPad app doesn’t support keyboard shortcuts… Which is kind of a bummer since I’m using it some of the time with the smart keyboard attached

Any chance keyboard shortcuts on iPad app will be supported soon ?

Thanks

oh wow, i never thought to use keyboard with ipad pro – @mike, can you get this work request put in? it shouldnt be that hard to get this going…

2 Likes

That’s great Danny! I just ordered the 12.9 inch iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard.

I’ve just handed my first gen 12.9" ipad pro to my son as I’m informed his textbooks will be delivered via iPad and his previous model is now beyond economic repair. How much of a performance jump am I likely to see using Roon on the A10X vs the older A9X (which I already found to be pretty much instantaneous for most Roon related usage)?

I’m a bit late to the party on this but FWIT, I just bough an iPad 4 mini to use as a roon remote and it is great. It is still small enough for thumb typing, performance is great, and it helps solve the “One remote” problem pretty well since I can control Roon, my Harmony Hub, and several other 1-off devices from the same controller.

Highly recommended.

what’s the scrolling of albums like? on the android tab (samsung a16) I have, it’s pretty elastic, multiple swipes needed to scroll pages, hit and miss, is the best description!

The performance is smooth, but the screen acreage is a bit limited. It’s not really a problem, though. The screen is landscape and fits 5 or so albums across the screen. I use the shortcuts when needed, but browsing by swiping still works well.

It is not as rich as it is on a larger tablet, but the larger tablets have the shortcoming of being heavier and more awkward for typing. What I like about the small form factor is that I can type with my thumbs easily and while you still need 2 hands, it’s not as bad as a larger tablet. My ideal is to have the best of both worlds: I want a one-handed single remote that I can use to control my whole system (which is why I have asked for a “theater view” mode for Roon, where you can navigate your library with only 6 buttons), but be able to use a separate Roon UI when I want a more tactile, 2-handed experience. This suits my needs until theater view changes are made.

I find the touch targets on the phone and my IPad mini to be too small - specifically those for changing volume.

Does this improve at all on the iPad Pro? Do the touch target sizes scale up?

I have never noticed a touch issue on my iPad Pro…