Best way to hook Rossini to Roon Nucleus system

If you want shielded ethernet cables, Blue Jeans Cat 6a is the Belden 10GX series Cat 6a and has a floating shield design, so no ground loops via the shield.

Their Cat 6 cable (Belden 10GX series Cat 6) is unshielded.

2 Likes

I have the Rossini for a couple days now. I just hooked up via USB from the nucleus. I just wanted to hear it for now. Wow it is unreal, like way more than I even expected and havenā€™t even added the clock in the chain yet. Looking forward to getting this all hooked up to the Network and take full advantage of the convenient features it has.

2 Likes

Which AQ ethernet cables did you try? I have a run from he Nucleus to the router and then another one from the router to the DAC. I was thinking of a run of diamond for each. I can get that with a 60 day return policy so if I donā€™t hear anything as many say is impossible it can go back. I bought a Diamond USB cable and I really like it.

Couple of comments:

1- If youā€™re going to look at ethernet cables, you might as well look into a switch that is also low noise (there are some around, I canā€™t recall exactly)

2- I am making no claims one way or another regarding ethernet cables other than it was recommended to me by John Quick from dCS to use a cable that does not electrically connect grounds - most Cat7 have shields that connect on both ends and those should be avoided

3- I do use an iso-Cat6 isolation device between my Rossini and the mac mini (Rossini connects directly to the miniā€™s ethernet port). I cannot say it makes a meaningful difference in sounds quality (I have not A/Bā€™d this), I use it mostly as a security measure against voltage spikes

In my setup, my mac mini is connected to the switch via a thunderbolt-ethernet adapter, this ethernet connection is bridged to the miniā€™s built-in ethernet port, and finally thereā€™s a 6-inch cat6 generic cable from the miniā€™s ethernet port to the iso-Cat6, and a 6-inch ā€œfancyā€ ethernet cable to the Rossini (which came with the iso-Cat6). Sounds great but like I said I have not futzed around. Adding the iso-Cat6 was not a revelationā€¦ :slight_smile:

If youā€™re interested in the double bridged ethernet connections in the mini, I am happy to give you details.

When you click on my profile you see my two sets.
I use a normal cat5e to the TP link units.
I hear only differents in sound after the two TP link units.

If you donā€™t mind me asking, what are you powering the most downstream FMCā€™s with, in your setups?

iFi iPower power supply