Best way to setup a VERY BIG Roon Database

See now. My mistake

For what it’s worth:

Roon Core and database on a Windows 10 i7 computer

Library size: 64K albums and 864,000 tracks (about 90% local flac files with 10% Tidal and Qobuz) All local files are stored on USB hard drives.

Roon Core and database on 500GB PCIe MVMe drive

Roon database backup on 1.0TB SSD drive

Roon database backup size: 342 GB

The Roon database is very stable however I do stop and restart Roon about every other day to keep things running smoothly. In fact I recently had to combine two external USB drives into one larger external USB hard drive and Roon did NOT lose any data.

With a large library over speced is the way to go.

3 Likes

Not wishing to start a linux/windows war (as I like linux) but please don’t waste your time trying to run roon server with large collection on linux. I spent a frustrating 18 months suffering corrupt db’s every few months and it turned out that it was the mono libraries not being entirely compatible with the .net libraries that the roon team had used for development. for the record, i have something like 380k tracks now running perfectly on windows server 2016/9 (I can’t remember which!)

All this may have been resolved now and what I type above is from memory (please see my previous postings from around 2018-19 for more details)…a kind chap on here helped me out, i saw your post and wanted to save you from what I went through.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

If you are running the Roon application on an ssd then the index will also be on the ssd. From what Roon told me quite some time ago, this is how it worked. I have Roon running from the internal ssd but all of my data files reside on attached usb hard drives

1 Like

I understand that ROCK/Nucleus is Linux, but a custom build (not a distribution), so they must be able to get round these issues (if they are issues)?

450k tracks here. Moved to ROCK on a couple year old NUC i7 with 8GB Ram and music on a 5TB 2.5" mechanical external harddrive on USB. Performance is good now, as I used to have a Mac Mini as the Roon server, and it was slow.

5 Likes

I wonder if this is one of the reasons Roon’s DB dies on my OS X machine with a very large library?

I’m running a Synology DS3018xs as Media-Server (32GB Memory, there are about 430k tracks, in FLAC, MP3 and DSD Format storend on a raid-5 (6x8TB) with 400GB SSD cache. The Roon core is installed in one of the DX1215 Extension boxes on a 6x2TB SSD Raid5 Array.
I just started 2 days ago and I’m impressed about the quality of the product and the ease of use.
Nevertheless I suggest an improvent regarding the background audioanalysis. Improving the speed, the Synology Station went down due to overheating after I increased to Fast 2 cores. When restarted, it came back with 2 cores running. My suggestion is, reducing the speed after a crash avoiding continously shuting down. (btw. I went back to reduced speed and will wait forever :slight_smile: ).

That was a while ago… Now the lightest/fastest Roon system is ROCK/Nucleus.

If anything, I’d worry about the Synology itself. They are not known for making performant devices and the model the op noted is not a valid Synology model.

1 Like

I can second this. I have a (relatively) large (50k) track library that includes quite a bit of hi res music in both flac and dsf format. Having roon read from my synology worked for CD quality music but produced noticeable performance problems (and even some drop outs) when playing the high res stuff. For example, I have single dsf files well in excess of 1GB in size. These do not play well over the network.

My solution was to include a 4 TB local drive in my NUC based device running ROCK. I rip and tag my music to my desktop, then copy to both the Synology (which in turn syncs to the cloud) and the ROCK. I have had Zero problems.

Our application is a little strange. We are researching music for a radio station. We took a very large library of 10K+ CDs and ripped them all to FLAC and re-tagged then all in the same format. After a test on about 1,000 CDs we indexed them into ROON and added some more data points.

Our plan is to use Roon to cross reference the entire collection. Using that capability to build playlists for our program directors. So we are dealing only one type of source, our collection. No WEB sources or playout.

The ROON core and Index lives on a PC based server with SSD which is all backed up.

1 Like

I found info on the NUC Bur what id ROCK ?

2 Likes

Hi folks

I have been running roon with cloud storage (raidrive on windows) with 250k files without any problems.
Search bar respond really fine, compare to plex, its a little bit faster.

It’s a 6600k, 32gb ram ddr4 3200mhz and 1080 gpu.
I got plex and roon server on it. Like a said capable to run both without problem.

Roon folder is in ssd (around 25gb of metadata) and use 3 gbs of ram

This wouldn’t help reduce the Roon workload at all. Roon will still have the same work to do.

Of course - I was thinking of the workload for whomever’s going to have “add some more data points” to those 14Tb of FLAC files.

Thank you. Sounds like I should be fine. then.

JOhn

As I understand it only the music files are going to be on the Synology NAS, Roon itself will be running on a PC, and hence the database/index will also be on the PC. So the key thing to ensure is that the PC is up to the job the Synology is not that relevant especially since Roon is only going to be used to construct playlists based on the metadata derived from the files but actually stored in the database and not actually be used to play music.

I would assume key things to ensure would be PC has SSD drive, decent multi core cpu and plenty of ram ?

Well I’m going to put in a good word here on using a Mini Mac for the Roon Core. I have a stupidly large library - 742,000 tracks, virtually all ALAC, many hi res which takes up close to 20 TB on a Lacie RAID. The mini mac has 32 GB of RAM and is connected to the RAID via Thunderbolt 2.

Frankly, Most of the time it work perfectly. I periodically experience buggy behaviour in 2 ways. Sometimes the album identification search doesn’t work and sometimes when i try to play albums remotely from an iPad, i get an error message. A log out and restart resolves both issues. Restart time is about 3 minutes.

It was super simple to set this up the first time and continues to be super simple to operate – it just works.

2 Likes

I am ready to setup my new system. New hardware, more content and different config. What is the best way to in effect NUKE this install and start over with the same subscription on a new computer.