Best way to transfer music files from NUC (running ROON R.O.C.K.) internal storage to NAS

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC 7i7 128 ram

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Sotm switch to uptone etherregen to NUC

Connected Audio Devices

NUC (lan cable) to etherregen (lan cable) to sotm-sms200ultra (USB cable) to sotm-txusbultra (USB cable) to Rockna Wavedream DAC

Number of Tracks in Library

50,000 tracks (some in NUC internal storage, some in local NAS)

Description of Issue

I want to move my music files from my NUC (running ROON R.O.C.K) internal HD storage into my NAS. What is the easiest or direct way to transfer the files from my NUC internal HD to my NAS?

Many thanks!

Copy the files over a Samba file share. Your ROCK is already here: smb://rock.local/data

1 Like

There are some benefits to having local music on the Rock devices as it reduces bandwidth usage and keeps more of it to be available to Roon to play This has solved problems for many a Roon user (including me).

I keep my music synchronised between my Rock and Synology Nas using Syncback pro on my windows device, but options also available for Mac etc.

1 Like

I would not run the music from the Nas as performance is below that of local disk. I don’t mean sq here just overall performance is slower. You also won’t get instant updates when adding new files to your library. I would use the NAS as a backup and leave the files to use on the Nucleus. This is how I use mine. You can use the Nas itself to copy the files automatically by adding Roons SMB mount as a storage space and use the NAS backup software to copy as it would from a normal pc.

2 Likes

Think we must have been thinking about that at the same time :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.