Better Diagnostics and Logging - Feedback

Hello! With the risk of some of this already being addressed, here’s some things I have thought about while debugging my Roon system.

More detailed RoonServer_log.txt
Right now the log is quite shallow. I have 3 hardware endpoints of the same brand (Raspberry PI’s) in my system. As I understand the log, I have a hard time figuring out which one of them cause Warnings (as example). Wouldn’t it be good if each log row contained details about exactly which endpoint caused a certain row? (IP-adress?)

08/12 07:47:31 Trace: [Toilet + Guest Bedroom + Kitchen + Living Room + Living Room - Ceiling + Master Bathroom + Office] [zoneplayer/raat] sync Devialet Phantom I Light Chrome Stereo -> Devialet Phantom II Opéra de Paris Stereo result: Success
08/12 07:47:31 Trace: [Toilet + Guest Bedroom + Kitchen + Living Room + Living Room - Ceiling + Master Bathroom + Office] [zoneplayer/raat] sync Bluesound PULSE FLEX 2i -> Devialet Phantom II Opéra de Paris Stereo result: Success
08/12 07:47:31 Trace: [Toilet + Guest Bedroom + Kitchen + Living Room + Living Room - Ceiling + Master Bathroom + Office] [zoneplayer/raat] sync Devialet Phantom I Opéra de Paris Stereo -> Devialet Phantom II Opéra de Paris Stereo result: Success
08/12 07:47:31 Trace: [Toilet + Guest Bedroom + Kitchen + Living Room + Living Room - Ceiling + Master Bathroom + Office] [zoneplayer/raat] sync snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus -> Devialet Phantom II Opéra de Paris Stereo result: Success
08/12 07:47:31 Warn: [Toilet + Guest Bedroom + Kitchen + Living Room + Living Room - Ceiling + Master Bathroom + Office] [zoneplayer/raat] long rtt sync snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus: realtime=32507353854202 rtt=41000us offset=-29102670145us delta=36808us drift=50226us in 1419.213s (35.390ppm, 127.405ms/hr)
08/12 07:47:31 Trace: [Toilet + Guest Bedroom + Kitchen + Living Room + Living Room - Ceiling + Master Bathroom + Office] [zoneplayer/raat] sync snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus -> Devialet Phantom II Opéra de Paris Stereo result: Success

Better Diagnostics to Figure out which device cause things
I have had massive issues with Roon dropping out, switching songs and stopping playback. Mainly it seems (from my amateur investigation) that it has been related with certain of my endpoints sitting with flaky WIFI introducing latency which in turn caused other endpoints to fail sync. That said…

Wouldn’t it be good if the Roon Client (or somewhere in the Server) you could see a “Health Check” on your devices, where you can see metrics on how many warnings / issues they introduce (or if they end up “out of sync” seeing that)

Roon Client User Report
The Roon Client itself should also be able to tell you when a certain device introduced some issue that caused a end user effect (dropout, stopping, next song etc?) From what I have seen the only thing you can see in the Client is mainly “Tidal media is loading slowly” which is not very descriptive…

Endpoint X is causing problems to you Roon system - click here to learn more!
(or something similar)

2 Likes

I’m sure that Roon Support/Devs must have a ‘log analyser’ program designed to do just that. A version of it built into ROCK and Nucleus would be very useful. It could display via the web interface page.