Better sound through better Mac?

That was my point. It is the same or it stops :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jitter and noise are non issues with any competent modern DAC and transport. It your DAC is having trouble with audible jitter it’s time for a new DAC not an upgrade of your MAC from M1 to M2.

2 Likes

Not on ethernet they don’t, and on USB don’t have to. Any USB DAC worth its money is electrically isolated and reclocks the data anyway

3 Likes

There was a thread somewhere around this forum, better bridge, router, cables, power :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The thread is descending quickly into the same hellhole as all the others about topics like this because the same people are allowed to spread their misinformation forever. Flood the zone with **** until the sane give up.

\out

3 Likes

Some folks have such desire to see spend $ they’ll ignore the science. Don’t be that guy is my advice to everyone.

5 Likes

Alright, jitter and noise are even measurable in the DAC’s analog output, but you’d need to offer some substantiation in context to the OP - something that no proponent of that “digital transmission noise and jitter” narrative has managed to do so far.

On the other hand, there is evidence online, showing that computer “strain” hardly introduces measurable, less so audible artifacts.

2 Likes

Well there is a few research going on, for example UpTone is doing for their release of EtherRegen Gen.2 and others too at Audiophilestyle.

The correlation between multi components, RFI, power supply etc are very complex just to have an isolated measurable result that is representative.
Though there is already some known stuff like you mentioned in the DAC‘s analogue output - and of course those having a high resolving system can easily spot the difference.

You seem intent on solving problems which don’t exist in our systems. Marginally reducing noise and or distortion which is already well below audible levels, even if doable ,is beneficial to those who want to sell multi thousand dollar Ethernet switches or power regenerators but hardly to the consumer no matter how highly resolving the system.

3 Likes

Well there is absolutely no need for many to invest in more sophisticated systems and solutions - and they are very much happy with what they already got. It’s just for those who are interested / willing, which seems to be the intent of the thread.
And a very important point, because it’s offen falsely asserted: that is not related to heavy investment etc. Sure there are products costing several thousand euros in the HiFi industry but that’s no prerequisite to improve sound.

I am struggling to understand this thread.

If using DSP or upsampling as an example and running out of CPU RAM resources ( i.e core unable to process on time) is the consensus that this has nil impact of sound quality I.e jitter ?

This has not been my experience.

Andrew

1 Like

Dropouts and pops yes, by which I mean the complete breakdown of an audio stream’s integrity, when this happens discussion on jitter is irrelevant.

2 Likes

You’re being disingenuous. Yes I can just as well throw $100 rather than $2000 to solve a non existent problem (and I used to do this regularly) but the result is the same, I’ve done nothing to improve sound quality. OP asked whether an upgrade from M1 to M2 would improve sound quality, the simple answer is no.

5 Likes

I doubt the sound would be better, but overall a better Roon experience would probably be had - mainly speed - OP said slow and old Mac to M2, not M1 to M2 which wouldn’t be a noticeable speed improvement for ROON. I still think ROCK on a dedicated device is the way to go though.

7 Likes

Right, was thinking of another thread re M1 to M2. But you’re answer is correct. I went from old and slow Windows to relatively modern with great improvement in Roon performance and user experience but not sound quality.

1 Like

Of course UpTone will :“research” something or another to sell their stuff. Of course, had they produced some real research showing that their overpriced trinkets work, they’d be for a Nobel prize, Field medal, and probably a few other, as they would have shown that our current understanding of physics and math is completely wrong.

Funny that they don’t.

4 Likes

Will your emails be funnier or more insightful if you send them from a faster computer? This is exactly the same situation…

Sheldon

1 Like

If you are talking about me? I did not upgrade from an M1 → M2. But from an 2011 2.5Ghz Dual Core → M2 :wink:

And indeed, jitter is almost never a problem. At first you have to know what type of jitter. Many don’t know :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

So they are making a new and supposedly improved one when it was claimed the old one was supposed to be the gods gift and solve all these supposed problems in the first place. Now they have created some more problems to empty your wallet further. This isn’t about improving anything other than there profit margins.

3 Likes

Right. I’m sure that runs Roon much better. As did my ditching my similarity aged machine. But the only difference in sound comes from being able to comfortably engage DSP that I shied away from with the old processor.

1 Like