Big Trouble with legacy Beresford DAC

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Sonic Transporter i5 > Sonore Ultra Rendu > King Rex USB-to-S/PDIF converter > modified Beresford 24/96 DAC 50-7774 > analog out to preamp

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Roon sees the King Rex converter as an unidentified device. Roon does not see the Beresford DAC. Searches within Roon don’t return anything for King Rex or Beresford. No audio output from the DAC via the Ultra Rendu and King Rex. DAC works fine with digital signal from a CD player. Please help. Thanks.

It’s connected via SPDIF which is one way data, so Roon has no way to know what’s connected the SPDIF output of the King Rex.

Besides the lack of identification (which it to be expected) are you having any issues when streaming music to it?

Roon Core Machine

Transporter i5 > Sonore Ultra Rendu > King Rex USB-to-S/PDIF converter > (modified) Beresford DAC 50-7774

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Not happy with SQ with a bunch of newer DACs, so I decided to convert the USB output of the Ultra Rendu to S/PDIF (RCA).

Roon sees the King Rex as an unidentified device. Searches for King Rex and Beresford do not return any results.

Not getting any sound out of the Beresford DAC from the King Rex. Works fine when fed directly with digital signal from CD player.

Also was working fine with a newer Cambridge Audio DAC. Please help! Thanks!

Thanks… I get no sound at all from the DAC vis the King Rex. Works fine with digital input from CD player.

@Phillip_Slepian, just seen your other post which I’ve merged in this topic so all the history is together.

When attempting to play a track can you upload a screen shot of Roon Signal Path Screen.

Not sure how to upload signal path, but it looks ok…
FLAC Source 96/24
Bit depth conversion 24 bit to 64 bit float
Volume leveling +5.9 dB
Bit depth conversion 64 bit float to 24 bit
Sonore Ultra Rendu - Roon Advanced Audio Transport
Output - USB Output

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.