Bios update necessary?

I agree. Even if you had a library pushing 100,000 Tracks, that 128gb drive is over 10 times larger than the roon database will end up being.

Just because a BIOS update may not be “needed” for ROCK, doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea to keep it up to date.

Many times, BIOS updates involve security patches (as mentioned). They also can include improvements that directly affect the CPU, memory and other subsystem performance on the system.

Best advice is to read what has changed in the BIOS since the version you are using and decide whether those improvements/changes will add value to your system.

2 Likes

This is bad advice.

I’ve run into multiple versions of the BIOS that came shipped on NUC8 and NUC10 boards that had power management issues. These are always fixed quickly, but the boards ship with older BIOS. I had a different issue on a stock NUC11 related to ethernet, but it was a pre-production unit with a pre-production BIOS.

I would not skip upgrading to latest BIOS. Your store-bought NUCs have been sitting in containers on ships and then on shelves in warehouses for a while.

1 Like

My statement about not needing to update BIOS to run ROCK is true, as far as it goes.
I’ve seen posts where people run into trouble installing ROCK because of problems with the BIOS updates.

Your statement, as far as it’s still a concern, applies to any NUC, whether it runs ROCK or WIN10, etc.

Not addressing whether Roon untested, new model NUCs successfully run ROCK at all.

While your statement is technically true, I would consider it bad advice. I am asking you to please stop spreading advice that leads to support issues.

For everyone asking this question, it is Roon Labs’ advice that you update the BIOS when preparing your NUC for ROCK. Not doing so could lead to unpredictable issues related to power and networking.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.