Bit perfect playback problem [Resolved Roon is bit perfect]

PS you should consider the Bridge II to move the Rockna further away from the DS (or out of the room completely). Less electrical noise / RF/EMI in the close vicinty of the DS and your analogue gear.

Made a big difference in my setup.

Thanks. Good advice in general, however my Rockna WDN is not a mediocre HTPC but a $10k transport at least on par with the DMP:
http://www.rockna-audio.com/products/wavedream-net

I owned the Bridge I with my former PWD.

:thumbsup:

I think this thread can be closed, because it has been stated that Roon is not causing my problems. Having received a new firmware from Rockna, I have been able to solve the unit firmware upgrade issue via Roon, but the remaining is still outstanding.

Did you ever solve your bit perfect/I2S problem? I’ve just purchased Directstream using Roon and Sonore ultraRendu feeding ultraDigital which is going via I2S into DAC. I’ve found the same problem. Roon is outputting a bit perfect signal but it’s not showing up that way on the Directstream display.

With my DirectStream DAC using an ultraRendu with a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 to convert USB to I2S, I have no issues getting “Bit Perfect” on the display with Roon by itself and with Roon using HQPlayer.

I think this is because you use USB as your source. If I use USB from source to renderer (DS) I get bit perfect annunciation. So, I guess the Matrix correctly converts USB into I2s. Did you have to fiddle with the Matrix DIP-switches to get this correct?

The DirectStream has no idea how the bits got to the I2S input. As far as Roon knows, there was no USB in the chain. The same goes for the DirectStream. There are no bits encoded in the information passed along that give any indication of digital encapsulation used.

The only way the DirectStream says “Bit Perfect” on the display is if the music data makes it to the DAC in its original form regardless of the path.

I have all the dip switches on the Matrix off.

I still think this has something to do with the LVDS polarity, meaning that Rockna does not comply 100% with the PS Audio spec on this very part.
If I use the Wavedream Net USB output the DS display shows bitperfect and if I am using the Wavedream Net I2s output the DS display does not annunciate bit perfect (independent of Roon).

Change your setup to use USB. Then find a track that plays a sound or voice predominantly through the left or right channel. Then go back to I2S and see if that sound or voice plays from the same channel. If it does not, it means that the Rockna is switching channels. This means you will not get “Bit Perfect” on the DirectStream display unless you can get Rockna to fix that.

Thx. This is easily a problem, but I have checked with a test disc that I have the correct channels reproduced.

Then check with Rockna…it’s not Roon’s fault and it is not the DirectStream DAC’s fault.

I thought I have answered this, but I might have confused it with my posting on the PS Audio community. It is not Roon’s fault so I will move on (or put it to rest).