Bluesound Node 2 or 2i with External DAC

I’m new here and just started messing around with Roon and love it so far.

I have a bluesound node 2i hooked up to Rotel RA 1572 (analog out) and (Coax)

Rotel says that the internal DAC will recognize MQA files, but that it the bluesound node 2 would unfold it correctly—whatever that really means.

Just curious if anyone here has any experience with a similar setup or with RA 1572 and how they have their audio configured in terms of “Render, decoder, etc”

Cheers- Jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

Their reply is a bit unclear - I can’t see any mention of MQA on the web page for that product but it may be elsewhere. I think they’re saying that it will just play as a normal digital audio stream from the Coax, in which case you can either let Roon do the first ‘unfold’ (in Roon set MQA capabilities for the Node as ‘no MQA support’) or the Node (set ‘Decoder and Renderer’).

The other option would be that it can, in fact, unfold MQA itself. In which case you’d configure in Roon as ‘Decoder and Renderer’ and setup MQA pass through on the Node (might need to Google which menu this setting is in).

1 Like

Hi Jimmy,

I just got the Rotel RA 1572. I’m now exploring the most effective ways to connect Roon to the RA 1572, utilzing all the great HW it already has built in - as well as the MQA quality, I’m getting from my Tidal subscription.

I’m experimenting with Rasperry Pi - would consider Allo USBridge, but this product seem not be available any more,

So what’s your experience with the bluesound node 2i? Are you finally getting MQA (or lose to) quality to your RA 1572?

Hi there. I don’t have that particular setup anymore, but I can tell you how I had it setup.

I thought the bluesound Node 2i worked fine and sounded good, however- when playing MQA files- I thought the internal DAC of the Rotel was a bit better than the bluesound’s. Not a huge difference, but I’ve had this convo before and I know I’m not the only one who thought the same thing.

I would just try it both ways- Use COAX from bluesound to Rotel to use Rotels DAC or use the Analog out from Bluesound to Rotel for Bluesounds DAC…and hear what you think sounds better.

I eventually upgraded and got a much more expensive setup (Metrum Ambre and Metrum Onyx) with a McIntosh MA6600…

However, I really did enjoy the 1572- It does a lot and sounds good. I actually hooked up a RB990BX (200WattsX2) to power B&W 683s2. That extra power made a very food difference in my setup. Obviously, depends on what speakers you are using.