Bluesound Node 2 / Tidal titles not streaming

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 64-bit, Roon Version 1.7 (build 610)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

400M cable
Fritz!Box Cable 6660 modem/wifi router
Fritz!Repeater 1200

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Bluesound Node 2 (via Wifi, near the repeater)
Bluesound Node 2 (via LAN)

Description Of Issue

I’m not able to stream any Tidal titles using Node 2 connected to Wifi. However all my local files stored in NAS play fine. This device is located very near the Fritz!Repeater. It has worked without any issues for some weeks. I performed a factory reset to it but it didn’t help.

Node 2 connected to LAN plays Tidal titles and they play fine also in Windows 64-bit.

Here is screen shot from Roon when I try to play Tidal titles with Node 2 connected to Wifi:

Nothing happens even though I wait for a while.

For some reason I couldn’t edit my original post but I would have added a comment that l’m able to play Tidal titles in BluOs application.

Please post a screen shot of the signal path to each of the nodes playing something.

Since its last update, BluOs devices have struggled to play MQA files. Try to play a non-MQA file and see if it’s better. If it is, turn off MQA support in your settings and turn on allowing Roon to do the first unfold.

Hello @Tuomo_Henriksson, and thanks for your report! Could you please disable the repeater as a test and see if you get better results? We recommend against using them in our networking best practices and I’d like to see if we get a better result without it.

I disabled the repeater but it did not help. I got the same “Starting playback on your audio device. This may take a moment” message and nothing happened then.

Before I had the repeater this Node 2 worked with Roon but not well because the audio was dropping off really often due to poor Wifi signal in that room. I also work in that room and I had bad Wifi in my laptop as well. Then I purchased the repater to create a mesh setup with my modem/router and the issues with poor Wifi connection were gone both with the Node 2 and the laptop. The connection worked for almost 2 months since I got the repeater and then suddenly on Wednesday this week the Node 2 didn’t function with Roon.

Hello @Tuomo_Henriksson, I’d recommend considering a mesh network as discussed in our networking best practices.

Mesh networks are a middle-ground that covers the majority of home networking scenarios while still achieving good performance. Mesh networking hardware provide WiFi access in rooms that cannot be hardwired, and some products can even expose Ethernet ports in those locations. This “WiFi backhaul” functionality makes these products fundamentally different from (and better than) WiFi Range extenders.
If a mesh network is installed with Ethernet connections between each of the nodes, the network will perform just like a traditional Router+APs setup. If WiFi links are used between the nodes, the probability of WiFi-related issues increases. Nonetheless, if you have no other option than to link your access points with WiFi, mesh is the best way to do it.

As I described in my previous reply I have a Mesh setup that consist of the following devices:

Fritz!Box Cable 6660 modem/wifi router
Fritz!Repeater 1200

And this worked without any issues for almost two months but suddenly it stopped working for the Node 2/Roon combination.

I guess I have to then bring the ethernet to upstairs through the powerline and that means I need to buy another set of devices.

Hello @Tuomo_Henriksson, I got clarification from my team on what would be best for your situation. Could you please try connecting your node directly to the router via Ethernet and let me know if we get better results?

I purchased a pair of powerline Ethernet adapters to connect the Node 2 I have upstairs via Ethernet and Roon works now without any issues. This is of course good news but I’m still a little bit disappointed that Roon didn’t work in the Wifi mesh setup I have and that I needed to spend more money on these adapters and do additional cabling.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.