Bluesound player is not longer displayed

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

TEXT GOES HERE

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE
Use several Bluesound players for playback. But one player constantly loses Roon in the playback zone. When I turn off the power to the player it will be back. Can I configure it manually in Roon if it has disappeared and is not automatically detected.
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

TEXT GOES HERE

Hi @Riedel_Reinhard,

Welcome to the forum.

For us to better assist you, can you please provide the additional information requested above?

How is the one player that’s impacted by this issue connected to the network compared to the rest that are working properly? Is it going through a switch/range extender/powerline adapter?

It is a power node that is connected to the router via LAN cable through a switch. The other players are connected via Powerline. One of them, a Vault, once showed the same problem. I started the playlist via Roon, then there were dropouts in the transmission and then this player disappeared in Roon as well. After restarting the Vault everything was fine again. The players are always visible via the Bluesound app. Rooncore itself runs on a QNAP-NAS

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Hi @Riedel_Reinhard,

Where is the QNAP Core connected, is it directly to the router or through a powerline adapter?

You should be aware that while sometimes powerline adapters may work as expected, we have often seen issue surrounding them in Roon, as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices Guide.

What is the model of the router and switch? Is it a managed switch?

Managed Switches

Managed switches can be very robust, but they are often designed for professional installation, so in many cases the out-of-box configuration is not right. If your switch has a “flow control” setting, please make sure that it is enabled. Also, make sure that the switch is not performing any sort of throttling that might impact communication between cores, storage, remotes, and/or audio endpoints. Finally, ensure that the switch is configured to pass multicast and broadcast traffic. If in doubt about any of this, try temporarily replacing your managed switch with a “dumb” switch to see if things improve.

The QNAP Core is directly connected to the router. The switch is unmanaged.
To isolate the cause of the error I connected a new player, a Bluesound Pulse, directly via WLAN this morning. Let’s see how it behaves in continuous operation. I suspect that Roon does not periodically check the status of all bluesound players. I once changed the name of the bluesound player. Roon did not notice this

Hi @Riedel_Reinhard,

Do let me know how this player behaves with the different connection type. The best test here though would be to have both the Core and the Player connected in a similar method, meaning both to the router to eliminate the switch as the potential source of the issue. WLAN is subject to environmental WiFi interference, so while it’ll provide a useful data point, it won’t provide the best data point.

I have five bluesound players in use. 2 connected via powerline and switch. These are recognized in Roon.
But as already shown, one of them disappeared during playback via Roon. After rebooting the player it was recognized by Roon again. I have connected the RoonCore directly to the Rooter. I also connected it to the Switch. The error pattern has not changed. The new Bluesoundplayer, via WLAN, is not recognized. t.I have connected the RoonCore directly to the Rooter. I also connected it to the Switch. The error pattern has not changed. The new Bluesoundplayer, via WLAN, is not recognized.Also not the Android Smartphone for the RoonApp; according to my understanding the Smartphone should be recognized as a possible player by the core. Also not the Android tablet for the RoonApp; according to my understanding the tablet should be recognized as a possible player by the core? The Bluesoundplayer, which was not recognized as the first one, is connected to the switch via LAN cable, just like the core. So as suggested with the same connection technology as the core.

Hi @Riedel_Reinhard,

I believe we should focus on just one of the problematic Bluesound players to simplify things a bit for now. What is the model of the player that is not showing up when connected to the router?

Yes, if you open the Roon app on the Android app and navigate to Roon Settings -> Audio (on the android app), you should see the Android zone at the top and enable it. Then you can switch to the Android output zone.

shown are Node 2 and the 2 Vaults 500
not shown Pulse flex and Pulse
shown after power reset Powernode

Hi @Riedel_Reinhard,

Thanks for the information!

Let’s focus on the Powernode to start. Can you please let me know:

1. The exact local time + date when it is not visible in Roon

2. The exact local time + date you perform a power cycle on the Powernode to get it visible in Roon again?

3. Provide a copy of your Bluesound log. You can get these logs by navigating to Bluesound’s IP Address in a web browser -> Diagnostics -> More -> Copy + paste the text into a text editor and send it as a shared Dropbox/Google Drive/ Send.firefox.com link

4. Provide a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions? You can upload them to a similar Dropbox/Google Drive/ Send.firefox.com link.

Thanks!

Fine, that’s how we do it. To the other problem with the two Bluesound Power Players, which are connected via WLAN and playable within the Bluesound App but are not displayed via Roon? Is it possible, for example, to manually enter a player via the IP address?

Hi @Riedel_Reinhard,

No, this is not possible.

When devices don’t show up, this usually indicates a multicast issue, either on the Core end or on the router’s end. What is your router model/manufacturer? Some types of routers require special settings to be applied, settings such as IGMP Proxying and IGMP Snooping have helped with multicast issues in the past.

Another thought here, have you tested by running Roon on a different Core yet? It would be interesting if just the QNAP Core is problematic but other Cores work as expected and show all the devices. Then we could better focus our efforts on just troubleshooting the QNAP. To switch Cores:

• Open Roon on the other PC you wish to try as the Core
  • Roon Settings -> General
  • Disconnect
  • On the “Choose your Core” screen, press “Use this PC”
  • If asked to Unauthorize, you can go ahead and do so. You are limited to one active Roon Core at a time but you are free to switch between them as often as you’d like.
  • Verify if the same behavior occurs on the different PC

Initial situation Core on the Qnap
Shown are Node, 2 times Vault, all 3 via Powerline, and the Powernode, connected via LAN cable; not the Android Tablet with the Remote Roo app

Change of the core to Windows 10 PC.
As above; additionally displayed are the Pulse flex via WLAN and the Android tablet on which the Roon Remote App is installed. Not the other Pulse, which is also connected via WLAN

All players are displayed via the Bluesound App

Router Telekom Speedport

Hi @Riedel_Reinhard,

From your post it sounds like the Pulse is the most problematic one here, even on the Windows Core, is that correct? If so, we should focus on this endpoint first. Can you please use the instructions I listed above to send me a copy of the Roon + Bluesound logs?

I’m sorry to cause so many problems. But it all started with the powernode, which was only recognized from time to time after the power was turned off. But it has been working fine for a week now. If it is no longer displayed by Roon, I will send the appropriate log information as you suggested. The Pulse has never been displayed by Roon, regardless of where the core is located. But the Pulse flex has, although both Pulse are connected via WLAN and are displayed in Bluesound. I still don’t understand why the Android tablet, which I use to remotely control Roon, shows up as playback zone on the core on Windows 10, but not on the core under Qnap.

Hi @Riedel_Reinhard,

Thanks for the additional info. In my previous post, I wanted to illustrate more-so that we should focus on just one of the problematic endpoints at a time, troubleshooting all of them at the same time is getting a bit disorganized.

If you wish, we can certainly look into why the Pulse isn’t appearing in Roon at all or focus on the Powernode next time it disappears from your audio list. In either case, the above instructions should still be applicable, except for step #2.

Logs would help here, so if you can send me a set from either of the problematic devices, I can get it over to the technical for closer review.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.