BlueSound Powernode 2 keeps dropping out

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacMini Late 2014 with 256 GB SSD HDD, Roon 1.7 (build 528)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Mixture of gigabit and 802.11ac connected (Ubiquiti) wireless devices. Strong wifi signal in all areas of home.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Zone containing the following devices:
Lounge - Raspberry Pi with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro running latest Ropieee (gigabit ethernet connection)
Bedroom - Raspberry Pi with Hifiberry DAC+ running Hifiberry Software 20200327 (wireless connection)
Den - BlueSound Powernode 2 running BluOS 3.8.8 (wireless connection)
Study - Mac Pro with Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 (gigabit ethernet connection)

Description Of Issue

I have the 4 above devices in the same zone. All device aside from the Powernode run seamlessly. When playing some content (eg MQA off Tidal) I will get an intermittent drop out which results in the loss of control of the Powernode.

roon will flick to the next track, isolating that BluOS endpoint from the zone and play seamlessly again.

It’s extremely frustrating and happens on even locally streamed 16/44.1 FLAC.

Wireless signal is strong and I can see from the unifi controller 97% signal strength on that BlueSound device and 95% wifi experience.

What can I do to debug from here?

Hi @Craig_Joyce,

If you have the zones ungrouped and try playing to just the Powernode 2 zone, do you experience the same issue when it is not grouped?

Is there any change in behavior if you temporarily connect the Powernode via Ethernet instead of WiFi?

No issue when isolated and ungrouped. It will happily play MQA content off tidal with no issues over wifi if ungrouped.

Hi @Craig_Joyce,

Thanks for confirming the issue does not occur when playing only to the Powernode zone. Is there any change in behavior if you temporarily connect it over Ethernet and play to the group?

I went through the logs on my Unifi controller this morning. It seems one of my access points was intermittently coming on and offline which I presume is what the Powernode was associated to at the time. I will do more testing and revert back but it’s been rock solid for 2 hours now since I power cycled the one access point in question.

1 Like

That’s great news @Craig_Joyce! Do let us know how the system holds up.

Well, I’ve been dreaming for 12 hours today, lots of MQA stuff streaming at about 4.5 Mbps per endpoint and it hasn’t missed a beat. All roon endpoints in the zone are performing flawlessly.

I’ll keep an eye on things but I think one of my access points got a bit funky and needed a kick in the guts to recover.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.